Uprising In Egypt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They will probably have new elections within 6 months and Morsy will be re-elected, if he's allowed to run.
What should US policy be then Rick?

LOL at powerline, RickN's source of news.

If they have elections within 6 months, which I think they will, I doubt Morsi gets elected. It was him trying to screw with their constitution and give more power to the Islamist that caused the people to rise up against him. I doubt they will give him a second chance. The US policy should be to let their people have the government they want instead of trying to tell them to shut up and not make waves for whomever Obama likes, like he tried to do with the Copts.

As for Powerline, yes it is one of my sources but mainly for the way they dig into the legal aspects of a lot of issues. I enjoy that they sometimes show things that the MSM does not and they do link to a lot of interesting pieces from other sources. Plus at least one of them is a proud gun owner and shooter. :D

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they hold elections any time soon, which I doubt, Morsy won't be allowed on the ballot because there is a real possibility he might win.
The most likely outcome is continued dictatorship by the military and they won't hold fair elections at all unless shamed into it.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they hold elections any time soon, which I doubt, Morsy won't be allowed on the ballot because there is a real possibility he might win.
The most likely outcome is continued dictatorship by the military and they won't hold fair elections at all unless shamed into it.

Must be why they have already sworn in an interim president and started talks with all the different groups about elections. :D

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's going to be hard for Morsy to run being under house arrest and all along with his brotherhood compatriots.

That is his own fault but there are other Islamist taking part in the talks. Just because Obama's boy is not involved at this time does not mean much since the majority of Egypt's people wanted him removed.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Must be why they have already sworn in an interim president and started talks with all the different groups about elections. :D
We shall see. We know that last time the military was reluctant to hold elections and dragged their feet as long as possible.
I don't expect anything different this time.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We shall see. We know that last time the military was reluctant to hold elections and dragged their feet as long as possible.
I don't expect anything different this time.

I do not think they dragged them long enough. The military should have held on until their new constitution was set along with the majority of election laws written. That is part of the reason we are seeing this now. The military turned over control to fast and Morsi and the brotherhood took advantage to try and stack the deck.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not think they dragged them long enough. The military should have held on until their new constitution was set along with the majority of election laws written. That is part of the reason we are seeing this now. The military turned over control to fast and Morsi and the brotherhood took advantage to try and stack the deck.
Egypt was under military rule for 16 months.
Just how long do you think is long enough for people to have their democracy?

What do you think would be the appropriate time for the military to run the country this time?
2yrs, 3yrs???

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Egypt was under military rule for 16 months.
Just how long do you think is long enough for people to have their democracy?

What do you think would be the appropriate time for the military to run the country this time?
2yrs, 3yrs???

However long it takes for reps from all the different groups to write and agree to a fair constitution and election laws. I say this because they did not have a democracy under Morsi. It started out as one but since everything was not set he was quickly turning it into a dictatorship.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
However long it takes for reps from all the different groups to write and agree to a fair constitution and election laws. I say this because they did not have a democracy under Morsi. It started out as one but since everything was not set he was quickly turning it into a dictatorship.
I agree with that.

Morsi won with 52% of the vote and you would think he would have run a more inclusive government and reached out to the opposition more but then again, they don't have any experience in democratic government there.
They never had it before.

The only rule they have ever had is dictatorship. And now they revert back to what they know, more of the same.

Latest posts

Top Bottom