USDA coyote eradication from helicopter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some friends in the cattle business are losing cows because of coyotes. This is in Oklahoma. They're going to have the USDA come in with a helicopter to reduce the number of coyotes in the surrounding area.

I've seen pigs hunted via snipers in a helicopter. (Texas) And I've heard of the USDA dropping poison from helicopters for skunk eradication.

I wonder how they do it here (OK) from a helicopter for coyotes? If they simply were to drop poison, how will they protect domestic dogs, sheep, cats from being poisoned?

I've checked the subject on their website and they're intentionally vague.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some friends in the cattle business are losing cows because of coyotes. This is in Oklahoma. They're going to have the USDA come in with a helicopter to reduce the number of coyotes in the surrounding area.

I've seen pigs hunted via snipers in a helicopter. (Texas) And I've heard of the USDA dropping poison from helicopters for skunk eradication.

I wonder how they do it here (OK) from a helicopter for coyotes? If they simply were to drop poison, how will they protect domestic dogs, sheep, cats from being poisoned?

I've checked the subject on their website and they're intentionally vague.
Why would you expect this government to be clear and forthright about anything is tells its surfs. They feel no need to explain themselves.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They shotgun them from the air. They spent a day over some of the draws and canyons nw of me where myself and another guy have trapped for years, him more than myself due to lack of time. They killed 62 that day iirc.
62? Do they clean it up? As in, remove the carcasses? Or, is that the responsibility of the land owner? Because, just leaving the carcasses will simply invite more coyotes which ......... seems counterproductive.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
62? Do they clean it up? As in, remove the carcasses? Or, is that the responsibility of the land owner? Because, just leaving the carcasses will simply invite more coyotes which ......... seems counterproductive.
Not sure that the carcasses will draw in other coyotes, as I rarely see a dead coyote get eaten by anything, except maybe hogs or buzzards. I will say that I found a bone pile from what I believe was gov aerial work, 35+ coyotes in one pile (counted skulls), that were left on private land. Not sure if landowner gave permission or not??

ifishok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was left up to me, I would hire some very smart roadrunners and let it play out as it should.
Wile E Coyote Wtf GIF by Looney Tunes

Latest posts

Top Bottom