USS Batfish back in the water.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw the uss batfish a long time ago. It sure puts in perspective how tough sub life was in those days. Cool historical trip.
The Gato and Balao boats weren't the ones that gave subs the nickname "Pig Boats," but it wasn't exactly a cakewalk. I've read several memoirs by WWII USN officers who were in the Silent Service, and it took a special kind of sailor to do that job.

I remember one who said that his time in the boats made him glad he wasn't a smoker, after watching the nicotine fiends after an extended submersion. He said by the end of a long dive, it didn't matter how much you needed a smoke, because there wasn't enough oxygen in the boat to keep one lit. Oy vey.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many years ago, I as involved in HAM radio and a member of the Muskogee club. There was some type of contest, with HAMs operating from subs around the country, and international if I remember correctly. We operated around the clock, and it didn't take long for me to decide I wasn't cut out for that confinement. Much respect for the men, and I guess women now, that help in our defense in that realm.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went through that Soviet sub that was parked by the Queen Mary out in commiefornia. For the life of me I can't figure out how 63? crew members stayed in that thing for weeks or months on end. Some of them used torpedoes for bunks. It was a nuclear sub and the size was small! Not at all what you get from the movies. What really got me was the complexity. The piping and valves were amazing.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went through that Soviet sub that was parked by the Queen Mary out in commiefornia. For the life of me I can't figure out how 63? crew members stayed in that thing for weeks or months on end. Some of them used torpedoes for bunks.
IIRC, on the USN boats in WWII, as they used up their torpedoes, they would string up hammocks where the fish had been, converting it into bunk space just to give the men a little more room. I can't recall where I read that, though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a book that I no longer have that was about some of the top secret missions of the submarine service. Some of which were still covered by non-disclosure agreements to this day. The author obtained enough information to write the book by those that served dropping info to him without claiming ownership.
Yeah, that sounds like a non fiction thing, but the author put clif notes and other documentation to make it real.
If half was true, there was still some examples of heroics that boggle the mind.

Latest posts

Top Bottom