Velocities from .40S&W

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalyup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wondering what some of the velocities you guys see from different .40 loads.
I've been reloading for a long time, and just finally got around to chronoing some of my home defense loads.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have my data here, but I loaded some 40sw for a Beretta carbine that my son has, I loaded AA#7 with a hard cast 180 grain tc bullet coated in a moly lube. The bullets were black. I don't remember the brand, but they were impressive in both accuracy and velocity. My Son and one of his shooting buddies chronographed the loads and his buddy couldn't believe the velocity they were getting from those loads. They tested some standard loads with AA#2 and AA#5 and got the expected velocity from those. I worked up the loads for the long barrel of the carbine and the moly coated bullet using the slower burning AA#7 to give the increase in velocity for the carbine. I shoot a variety of carbines in pistol calibers and have worked up loads specifically for them as opposed to the normal pistol loads. These loads will function in a pistol as well, but aren't as efficient. Lots of fun things you can do with reloading for specific types of weapons. Blitzfike

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I loaded up some 180 gr. truncated cone lead bullets with 5.5 gr. of Unique, they cycled my Firestar real well and the average was 953fps, I am going to up it to 6 gr. even and probably leave it there

Dalyup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. That 930 to 980fps is what I'm kind if seeing from the 180s. I've been pushing some 160 gr xtp hp at 1200, but those I've been saving.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. That 930 to 980fps is what I'm kind if seeing from the 180s. I've been pushing some 160 gr xtp hp at 1200, but those I've been saving.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That's fast for 160gr. I'd played around with older data from a windy TFL discussion and crossed the 1400FPS threshold with Nosler 135gr JHP's over 800X powder. It was stout in my G23 and KelTec P-40. Sense (or paranoia) prevailed and I stuck with more practical loads until finally selling off all my .40's. I still keep dies, bullets and cases in case a good deal drifts my way.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's my .40 load using a 180gr Montana Gold JHP and 4.6gr of Titegroup @ 1.25 OAL. Very accurate and consistent.

String #: 1
High Velocity: 811
Low Velocity: 804
Average Velocity: 807
Extreme Spread: 7
Standard Deviation: 2

Average Power Factor was ~169 and 353 Foot lbs.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm using 180 grain lead RNFP for a competition load.
WST Powder. I get an average of 960 across a chrony.

Using copper jacketed it could be ran up substantially.

Latest posts

Top Bottom