Walmart .22's: Opinions please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so, what'dya get?

my Dad has carried a model 60 in his feed truck for nearly 30 years now. just thrown under or behind the seat. it has no paint, bluing, or finish left on the wood AT ALL. it has had the mag full at all times. NEVER been cleaned that i know of, might get shot everyday at times, or might go a year without being fired. never failed to fire, & i dont recall ever seeing him miss with it. it's reliability & accuracy are incredible considering the abuse it's taken.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Marlin 60 is a well loved classic with a well deserved reputation as an excellent firearm. Drawbacks include slowness in reloading and the need to be careful not to bend the inner tube in the magazine. Eventually they do need cleaning. Best way to do so is to take off the stock, soak the action by sitting it in a jar of mineral spirits overnight, dry it out and add a little graphite.

The Ruger 10-22 has an amazing abundance of options for modification and is excellent for reloading, whether with the original rotary magazines or banana magazines.

gallk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Marlin model 60/70 guns have always been great and 10/22 is a standard also. These guns are workhorses. I just purchased a 10/22 "tactical" from cheaperthandirt.com for just over $200. Their service was great and the transfer was easy.

K

kimber45

Marlin 60.
Inexpensive, reliable, easy to clean, replacement parts easy to get.
Rem 597
I had an issue with mine. Kept throwing the charging handle out. Called Rem CS and they sent a new bolt and handle. Great ever since.
Same pros as the Marlin 60
Ruger 10/22
TONS of bolt on stuff for it. New factory 25 round mags now.

I personally like the tube fed over the mags. The older Marlin 60's will hold 15-17 and are (to me) fast to reload.

You cant go wrong with any of them, but I favor the Marlin 60. It was my first rifle. I have the others, but almost never shoot them. The 60 gets grabbed first.

M

Matt Basterson

i also vote for the henry, i can't believe that in this day and age of mass-produced junk, you can actually get a production run rifle this smoothe. i have 2 of'em and they are as sweet as if they had been worked over by a pro. they've held up well and they are damm accurate. i prefer them to my browning that i've had for several lustrums, and it's a fine rifle itself.

E

EP1985

I have a marlin model 60 i LOVE it my favorite 22 has a 597 and must have got a lemon cause it would jam up about every 5th round. I would recommens shooting CCI's

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I own several .22s such as Marlin model 60, Ruger 10/22, Savage MKII FV-SR, and my brother has the Savage Model 64 or whatever it is. Anyways, the ruger 10/22 was by far my favorite, but had to let it go for my savage which is used for hunting. If I could get enough funds, I would be buying a henry lever action .22 lr... Nothing like the old time feel with the cost of .22lr for plinking.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the money Henry makes a dandy 22

We did wear one out though.... About 10 years of hunter safety classes and say, 700,000 rounds- more or less. Still works but it rattles like all hell inside.

bink98xcab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the 64f i one of a few that i wish i never would have sold. very accurate right out of the box. i liked it so much i bought my dad one for christmas last year. and i do a have a few 10/22's as we speak. if you want somthing to work on get the 10/22, if you want one how it comes new , get a 64f

Latest posts

Top Bottom