Walther G22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had one for a few years. I've shot 10-15k rounds out of it with 99% success with cheap ammo (mostly Winchester, Federal, and Remington). I use a 3-9x Leupold scope 80% of the time.

The downside is the lack of high cap mags, and the expense of extra mags - most I have seen were $35-50 for a 10 rounder.

The mags are the same as the P22 with a different floorplate.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
they are pretty cool rifles... nice and short obviously, and they have a lot better trigger than the bullpup conversions on other rifles, but the downsides are that they are pretty expensive for what you get, and like kd5rjz said, mags are expensive and they don't make any hi-caps. Also, their iron sights kind of suck since they have a very short sight radius and they aren't very adjustable.

If what you are looking for is a "cool-looking" .22 that is fun to shoot in that same price range, I'd look at some others. The Sig 522 is approximately the same price, has high cap mags available, but the downside is they don't come with sights of any kind. Or you can always buy a Ruger 10/22 and get one of the many body kits they make for it. There's the S&W M&P 15-22, but in my experience they have a lot of problems reliability-wise.

You can also buy or put together an AR-15 lower receiver, and buy a dedicated .22 LR upper for it. The nice thing about one of those is that you can slap any AR upper you want on it in any caliber you want.

Just throwin some options out there for you!

Like I tell everybody, no matter what rifle you get, the best thing you can do for yourself is to bring it to an Appleseed marksmanship clinic. See the link in my sig line.

Hope this helps.

OKDiesel

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I am looking for an extra .22 so that I have something to plink with at the range. The kid and wife decided they liked shooting the .22 on the 100 yard range better then the handguns. I seem to be loading the .22's for them, more then I am shooting! I have a 10/22 and Marlin model 60 they are shooting. I was looking for something with a little better trigger and just "different" then the 10/22. I have not seen anyone local with one of these. I think the price is right on the one I am getting, so not to concerned with that. I had thought about the AR-15 style gun and did not want to spend the extra for something everyone seems to have.

I will pick mine up tomorrow and hopefully get some range time this week with it. Based on the reading I have done today on them. I will pull it apart and clean it before heading to the range. Seems they like to be on the dry side with the oil and factory stuff is pretty heavy.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, I know what you mean about that Ruger trigger... if you just want something different than the Ruger 10/22 that has a better trigger, you might look at a Marlin 795. Its basically the Model 60 except it takes mags instead of tube feed and comes in a polymer stock. They have way better triggers than factory 10/22s do.

Every now and then, Midway puts the Volquartsen 10/22 target hammer and auto bolt release combos on sale for $38 or so... that gives you a much better hammer, and gets rid of the annoying bolt hold-open feature. Those 2 things make the Ruger a LOT more enjoyable to shoot.

I also recommend a set of Tech Sights for that Ruger (and the Marlin). The factory sights really suck on those rifles, like with most .22s.

Man, i've got to tell you, especially since you've got a wife and kids who enjoy shooting rifles, you've GOT to get them to an Appleseed shoot. They would have an absolute blast, and women and kids shoot free (and its just $70 for you) for a full weekend of fun at the range... and you will all become much better shots, I promise! You'll learn a little something about your history and heritage, too.

Tell us how that G22 works for you if you end up getting it.

OKDiesel

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to the range this weekend and fired about 300 rounds with only one jam. Very good for a new .22 in my book. Spent about 15 minutes sighting in the scope at 50 yds and the laser sight was dead on out of the box at about 50 feet. Had about 3" groupings at 50 yards without the bipod with the gun propped on a box. Can not wait to try with the bipod. Little louder then 10/22, but guess that is because it is ejecting next to your ear! Over all, had very good luck with it on the first outing and can not wait to get it back to the range, get used to shooting it and tighten that group up. I had read a lot of bad things about these guns and was a little concerned, however after shooting it and having virtually no issues...I love it. Just wish they made a mag that would hold more then 10 rounds!

I'll post some pics one night this week when I get time to create a photobucket account.

OKDiesel

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heres the pic

ai940.photobucket.com_albums_ad246_simpsmik_P7250014.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom