I am afraid that the value of formerly collectible handguns is going down. Hear me out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve seen my JM stamped Marlins (except my 30-30) going for double the price I paid for them 10 years ago.
This is honestly my main qualm with the ATF rule recently. It's nearly impossible to NOT sell for a profit if you didn't buy something stupid just because most guns tend to hold their value and so they will naturally increase in value over what you paid for them due to inflation and market forces.

I mean, it's one reason I don't hesitate to buy dumb stuff most of the time --- if I don't like it, it's not going to hurt me.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I view firearms as a repository of value rather than an investment. It’s the same difference as a savings account versus mutual funds. Firearms will never be valueless, and in most cases will appreciate slowly over time. As with a savings account, the funds remain easily accessible with firearms. As mentioned before, in times of social turmoil the value of firearms as readily-accessible capital will become much more valuable. As mentioned before, the level of value will be very dependent on the initial investment price. Purchasing from emotion is a killer of monetary value in all cases.

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been collecting handguns for 20 years or so, but recently I have put the brakes on it. Why? Because I am worried about a market crash on 20th century handguns. In the past I would look at something like a Walther P88, SW 5906 or Steyr GB and it was still competitive with a modern Glock, but the lack of optics cuts means I can shoot practically any modern gun better than I can those three. I’ve recently had some pretty interesting offers on things I once considered “grail guns” but I didn’t pull the trigger. I just couldn’t rationalize paying $1000 for another 9mm even if it books for $2000+ when a superior modern gun can be had for $500. I’m not concerned about the 10mm or other odd calibers, but I am kind of worried that things like a Walther P5 or HK P9 will tank in the future. Anyways, thanks for hearing me out.
If you are collecting as an investment surplus military guns seems to only go up, everything from the well known SKS and M1 to the excellent but not well known FN-49 (grandfather of the FAL).

I also believe it is inevitable an AWB will come back and if it still allows transfers but no more production a simple stripped AR lower, PSA entry level AK, and some 30 round magazines will quadruple over night as long as you buy them before the hint of the impending doom.

Just my take. Overall I buy what I truly enjoy shooting and perhaps a spare for my boys for when they come of age.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This. With a few exceptions, firearms as a whole aren’t where the investment dollars can work best.

Now, in a societal collapse, firearms will be worth their weight in gold - or whatever you feel is more useful to barter for. Firewood, chickens, water filtration equipment, etc…
I think guns are a great medium for investment, IF, you have modest expectations. If you intend to get rich doing it, you're a bit of a fool, but you should do fine otherwise. You will need to treat and store them carefully to conserve that value. Nothing material is a perfect and safe medium for investment. Gold bars are a bit more durable, but not as good to fondle...

:thumbup3:

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been collecting handguns for 20 years or so, but recently I have put the brakes on it. Why? Because I am worried about a market crash on 20th century handguns. In the past I would look at something like a Walther P88, SW 5906 or Steyr GB and it was still competitive with a modern Glock, but the lack of optics cuts means I can shoot practically any modern gun better than I can those three. I’ve recently had some pretty interesting offers on things I once considered “grail guns” but I didn’t pull the trigger. I just couldn’t rationalize paying $1000 for another 9mm even if it books for $2000+ when a superior modern gun can be had for $500. I’m not concerned about the 10mm or other odd calibers, but I am kind of worried that things like a Walther P5 or HK P9 will tank in the future. Anyways, thanks for hearing me out.
I tried to collect mil surp rifles and then decided I wanted out. It was a bear to try and sell them. Prior to joining OSA. Excellent condition rifles where people would offer 250-300 or my personal favorite… a compound bow from 2005 to trade.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also it seems that the younger generation kind of hates old guns. We have been spoiled to the AR platform. Especially once you shoot custom tuned rifles and even modernized handguns, its hard to love old stuff. IMO. I still want a Pattern 17 Enfield though. Is there a better bolt action 30-06 military rifle?

xtremerange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried to collect mil surp rifles and then decided I wanted out. It was a bear to try and sell them. Prior to joining OSA. Excellent condition rifles where people would offer 250-300 or my personal favorite… a compound bow from 2005 to trade.
This.

My personal observation is that individual milsurp firearms models might go up, especially if you bought them when a container load came in. The distributor was selling a lot at one time to different retailers. When the distributor is out, and no more are available for wholesale, the price will rise over the next few years.

Within 3-7 years, the price will stabilize at some multiple (2-5x) of the previous retail price. After that, you will be lucky to get more than inflation increases from them.

The potential customer base also decreases over time. The further out you go, the more time you will spend trying to sell it, too.

There is the old maxim - Collecting is fun, uncollecting sucks.

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also it seems that the younger generation kind of hates old guns. We have been spoiled to the AR platform. Especially once you shoot custom tuned rifles and even modernized handguns, its hard to love old stuff. IMO. I still want a Pattern 17 Enfield though. Is there a better bolt action 30-06 military rifle?
I think it's moreso the younger generation doesn't want to deal with the insane price increases (read Gouging) we've seen. I remember my dad talking about crates of Mosins in pawn shops and about Mauser rifles going for sub $80, compare that to today where people are asking $750+ for a Mosin and $1000+ for non numbers matching Mauser rifles. I love milsurp anything (just check out my closet), but when I could almost get a BCM rifle for the same price as an almost shot out Mauser, it just doesn't make sense.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
P7s and Coonans are a good example of things where the market could change if people started making them again. I have a few P7s and they are complex, but mainly in the frame. I think we are still a ways away from being able to 3d print one but at some point I think people will be able to do the frame in polymer and sell metal parts kits to make one. The Coonan and other automags are not so easy because modern polymer can’t hold up, but time will tell.
There is a reason the frame is steel on HK P7 series, pinned barrel in a 3d printed frame wouldn’t last too long.

Read where you were also talking about Walgreens P5, cool gun but not a big calling for them. So many things play into a value of something it doesn’t pay to worry about it and just enjoy what you have and like to collect. At least the way I see it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom