Washington State again - Bill to restrain cops on traffic stops

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a law yet but the way the legislature out there is going I think they are trying to out California, California.

Bill Would Prohibit Washington Cops From Stopping Drivers For Most Misdemeanor Warrants, ‘Nonmoving’ Traffic Violations​

https://policetribune.com/bill-woul...meanor-warrants-nonmoving-traffic-violations/
Proponents of House Bill 1513, dubbed the “Traffic Safety For All” bill, claim the proposed law change would increase public safety and combat racial inequalities, according to KING.

The bill would block police from stopping drivers for most misdemeanor warrants, “nonmoving” violations like broken headlights, expired vehicle registration, or for other equipment failures that might not pose an imminent threat to safety on the roadway.

“National and local data show that high discretion, low-risk traffic violations, including those that are unrelated to road safety, fall disproportionately on black, brown, and indigenous road users, as well as low-income road users and people with older vehicles,” the bill reads.

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with it. Who's the victim if a license plate tag is expired? Where's the victim if someone's windshield is cracked? Who's the victim if a "third brake light" isn't working? I subscribe to the "Leave me alone and I'll leave you alone." mindset, no victim = no crime. Police should worry about more important things, like robberies, assaults, and other crimes that have actual victims

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with it. Who's the victim if a license plate tag is expired? Where's the victim if someone's windshield is cracked? Who's the victim if a "third brake light" isn't working? I subscribe to the "Leave me alone and I'll leave you alone." mindset, no victim = no crime. Police should worry about more important things, like robberies, assaults, and other crimes that have actual victims
Yes everyone hates getting tickets, but the common traffic stop is at the core of police work. it is probably the number one way that criminals get off the street. Ted Bundy and Tim McVeigh (among others) we're caught due to traffic stops. The traffic stop is where you find warrants, drugs, ilegal guns, kidnapping victims and so on. Criminology 101, if someone is breaking minor laws, they are likely also breaking major ones.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The most racist statement of the article.

“National and local data show that high discretion, low-risk traffic violations, including those that are unrelated to road safety, fall disproportionately on black, brown, and indigenous road users, as well as low-income road users and people with older vehicles,”

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The most racist statement of the article.

“National and local data show that high discretion, low-risk traffic violations, including those that are unrelated to road safety, fall disproportionately on black, brown, and indigenous road users, as well as low-income road users and people with older vehicles,”
It does make sense that the poors would fail to maintain their vehicles and older cars are more damaged.

Personally I have always been religious about vehicle maintenance even when I was a poor, because not having a working car (or getting a ticket) will make you even poorer.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The article also mentioned expired registration. Maybe if Washington REALLY wanted to help the poor's they could reduce the price of car tabs. I paid close to $300 to for annual registration on a 10 year old Subaru. ( but it came with 2 "free" bus tickets, each good for one ride on public transit )

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It does make sense that the poors would fail to maintain their vehicles and older cars are more damaged.

Personally I have always been religious about vehicle maintenance even when I was a poor, because not having a working car (or getting a ticket) will make you even poorer.
Those darn poors. They should just have more money to pay for their cars.

Latest posts

Top Bottom