Watch Carrier tell 1,400 Indianpolis employees their jobs are being sent to Mexico

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Two Indiana plants that make products for the heating, ventilating and air conditioning industry are shifting their manufacturing operations to Mexico, which will cost about 2,100 workers their jobs, company officials announced Wednesday.

Carrier is shuttering its manufacturing facility on Indianapolis' west side, eliminating about 1,400 jobs during the next three years.

United Technologies Electronic Controls announced Wednesday that it will move its Huntington manufacturing operations to a new plant in Mexico, costing the northeastern Indiana city 700 jobs by 2018. Those workers make microprocessor-based controls for the HVAC and refrigeration industries.

Carrier Corp. and UTEC are units of Hartford, Conn.-based United Technologies Corp.

Carrier announced it would begin eliminating its Indianapolis workforce in 2017 and continue the layoffs through 2019. The company’s plan is being discussed with United Steelworkers Local 1999, which represents the employees who face termination.

http://www.indystar.com/story/money/2016/02/10/carrier-move-indy-unit-mexico-eliminate-1400-jobs/80181804/

Last edited by a moderator:

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Relocating our operations to Monterrey will allow us to maintain high levels of product quality....."

LOL! Mexican work quality is sh*t. The company I work for is in the process of pulling that stunt, and the amount of rework we have to do here from half-assed fabrication is astonishing. But they're working on sending more and more south. From all I've seen, whether it's construction here, or outsourced manufacturing there, the Mexicans have good work ethic but piss-poor quality. What is the old saying? "Good, fast, and cheap - pick any two"? With what I'm seeing from our Mexican division, you can get the two - but you have to eliminate "good".

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yet the Mexicans are jumping the borders coming here saying they want to find work. Sounds like the work is going to there and we need to be jumping borders.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yet the Mexicans are jumping the borders coming here saying they want to find work. Sounds like the work is going to there and we need to be jumping borders.

Nope Mexico has strict laws against illegal immigration. And I hear they they are building a wall - a tall one.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This topic turning into "illegals are ruining our country" within a couple posts is unreal. Keeping eating the ******** you're spoonfed. Ya'll clearly like the taste.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Louis Chênevert, who resigned as chairman and CEO of United Technologies in November, earned $27.1 million in compensation last year, but also departed with a pension, stock and options awards worth $184.4 million, UTC said in a U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission filing.

Options comprised nearly $127 million of that total, based on a Dec. 31 closing price of $115 per share.

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article/20150316/NEWS01/150319955/ch%C3%AAneverts-retirement-package-worth-184m

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make (Corporate) American Great Again

Minimum wage increases cause inflation and outsourcing!

Corporations are people, my friend.

You forgot - Irrelevant quotes pass for wisdom.

These workers largely make well beyond minimum wage with benefit packages, so, it seems you are making the case for those who want to keep wages down.
The obvious problem is that in Mexico the wages and other production costs are low so the products - even if replacements due to QA problems are more common and including transportation back to the US for installation - can be marketed more cheaply if made there.
And yes, the boss CEO did make a lot of money, of course, he is running a large company regardless of where the manufacturing plants are located. That seems to be a matter between the board and the stockholders. The stuff we can control - are clearly labeling where products are made (which doesn't affect most buyers but some), ensuring taxes are low and any reinvestment in the plants is not taxed, incentives to remain, etc. Did Indianapolis try to negotiate with Carrier to make the city remain a profitable place to manufacture?

This is not my area of expertise but I am not sure why Americans expect companies to remain here if the result is they cannot compete on the open market with their finished products. If you are saying that the difference is because of the senior executives' salary then you are wrong. If you are saying the that boards should be held more accountable by stockholders, well there I agree but often stockholders view the increased profitability as a good result. The workers may have a different view but they also rarely have any responsibility for ensuring the company can still compete in a worldwide market.

Latest posts

Top Bottom