Watering your house foundation????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My father works with many structural engineers in the Tulsa area, and has for years. the fact is the ground is constantly moving, the forces that are causing the move can be and are different in every house. I know we do not advise purposely trying to wet the pad under the house, to the extent that our flower gardens right next to the house have a barrier we dug down and installed so watering the plants would add as little extra moisture under the house as possible. Naturally i and my father are not the engineers, and cannot say for or against this idea, but i can say with something that is a large an investment as your home, we would certainly not rely on a guess, or a hearsay to take action that could do nothing, or could actually do more harm than good; in short, if you are concerned with your homes settlement, contact a structural engineer; naturally its going to cost you money, but its best to have someone who knows how these things work, to come look at your individual circumstances and talk about what if anything needs to be done to preserve the structural foundation of your home.

again i am no professional, but i have seen horror stories of house settlement that your could not even begin to imagine, i know that introducing water to the prepared foundation of a home can lead to tons of problems. and i have never herd of anyone purposely watering the foundation. again, i urge you to consult a real structural engineer who looks at your individual circumstances before taking this into your own hands. also consult your insurance to see what they will and wont cover in these circumstances.

on the note, i have also never herd of anyone being advised to purposely introduce water to their pad, in fact i have herd of and there are tons of measures taken to avoid allowing water to be introduced to the foundation of a home, think french drains, and gutters. and even breaks in the drainage system if left unchecked over time can cause soil erosion, washout, and water to undermine any piers in place. its possible in some cases maybe the do want to soften the soil, but even then i would assume its a very delicate and precise process, not something that would be self diagnosed and attempted.

edit:
my father just got home, so i inquired if he had ever herd of people introducing water to counter rising settlement of dry conditions; he has, but he confirmed what i was saying, its not something that a person wants to undergo alone, these are isolated situations and should be done only under the guidance of a structural engineer and followed up by that same engineer. its as simple as that, an average person cannot look at their home and tell what parts rising and what parts falling, and determine how much is too much and to what area, and can easily do harm thinking they are helping. your home is truly one of the largest, if not the largest investment in your life, and the foundation is an often forgotten part of the home as far as maintenance, if you are finding cracks or growing gaps, and door issues, and are legitimately worried about your structure, seek out console with a licensed structural engineer. i realize the engineer is not free, and probably not cheap, but if you choose to take action your self and end up doing damage or aiding in the settlement of your home, you could find that not giving in and having it handled by a professional could turn around and bite you.

Last edited:

itzkwik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I'm not a Rocket scientist but one thing I do know is that in a drought condition the ground shrinks,depending on what kind of foundation you have it eventually will follow the earth underneath it,older slabs are more prone to crack than some newer designs. If you water away from the slab like I do you will not create a washout or pool underneath it your expanding the ground surrounding the Stem wall therefore putting pressure back on it forcing it back close to its original state.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talking with a friend yesterday and he said he was watering his foundation. My house has a post-tensioned foundation and his was as well. I was under the assumption that with a post-tensioned foundation you don't need to do this as the foundation should float to prevent cracks. Now if you have an older house built before say around 2001 it probably has a foundation with rebar in it and as far as I know you are suppose to water them to prevent cracks.

Any structural engineers on the boards hear that know the facts? Im not trying to prove my buddy wrong as I am sure he will read this, I just want to know if I should also be doing this. I have some cracks in the back yard that are over 1" wide in the yard.
Most okies are not familiar with post tension slabs. They are still not that common here but good for you that you have one. These slabs are designed for areas with a lot of soil movement. They are required by code in parts of Texas. They are more expensive but in my opinion worth the money. They will eventually catch on here. I don't think watering a post tension slab is critical but I also don't think it would hurt. How's that for a wishy washy answer?

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I'm not a Rocket scientist but one thing I do know is that in a drought condition the ground shrinks,depending on what kind of foundation you have it eventually will follow the earth underneath it,older slabs are more prone to crack than some newer designs. If you water away from the slab like I do you will not create a washout or pool underneath it your expanding the ground surrounding the Stem wall therefore putting pressure back on it forcing it back close to its original state.

So you are saying that the soil movement can affect not only the stem wall, but the footing for it as well.

I'm not an engineer, but I find this hard to believe....

itzkwik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry,stem wall was the improper term, footing is and the footing will move with the ground it is poured in thus moving whatever is on top of the footing which stem walls sit on top of a footing,right? In some instances,others you have various types of slabs and dependent upon how thick the slab is 4-8" and if they put the proper amount of rebar in it will determine its strength and ability to stay put. Correct me if im wrong,I'm not in the concrete business but I have seen alot of foundations poured from 4" thick to 4ft.. and then some for extremely heavy machinery to be placed on, most older homes have a 4" slab and have been under stress long enough for conditions like we are in now that it wouldnt take much movement for cracks to start. Like I said if I'm wrong please educate me,I don't like being misinformed and giving bad info to others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to have Olshan's pier the west side of my house. The engineer saw the soaker hose and said keep it up. What I did was wait too long and I got behind the curve. The west side of my garage wall had a full 1" gap between the brick and the garage door facia. My kitchen cabinets (farther along the same wall) were a good 5/8" away from the sheetrock. This was about 10 years ago that I had it fixed. They put the wall back to almost exactly where it was. It was pretty cool, those guys have it down to an art. No problems since.

The idea is to keep SOME moisture in the soil and to keep it reasonably constant. It might take a couple of weeks for the water to work into the depth needed. You don't want to run it every day. Probably every other day and then taper off to a couple of times a week once you get there. You don't want it muddy, just some measurable and somewhat constant moisture.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my house was built early 1950's ... no problems so far with shifting.
one of my trees dropped a load of green leaves. what I'll be watering is my trees.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if you guys are worried about the ground contracting because of the dry, hot weather what do you do if you have rain for days at a time and the soil is saturated? Too wet of soil will also cause problems with your home.

Just remember, there are two guarantees with concrete, it's going to get hard and it's going to crack. Nothing you can do about it.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yes, I water around my foundation ... house was built in '72 .... Ranch Style ........ The gaps are getting up to 2" down here in Altus ..... Front door is shifting a bit too ...... getting really bad. Garage is fine, I had 36" footers poured when I built it in '81 ..... No shifting at all ...... BTW, just water once or twice a week, and not to excess ,,,,,,,,,,, JMO

Latest posts

Top Bottom