'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You didn't answer the question.
How can you have a gain in capital when you have invested no capital?
And you didn't read the article above either did you?

You didn't see my post. You can receive capital gains if you receive stock options and hold those options for more than a year. Same with ESPP.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You didn't see my post. You can receive capital gains if you receive stock options and hold those options for more than a year. Same with ESPP.
Romney's 'capital gains' are from the so called carried interest interpretation. He admits that himself.

You're reaching to find a way to justify it.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So are you. If it is illegal, it would be all over the liberal media. It is Janet's opinion, that's all.
The claim is NOT that's illegal, although it may be.

The whole point is that it's unfair to tax Romney's labor at 15% and tax the labor of doctorjj, MDT, and trdoc at 35%.
It's ordinary income and should be taxed at the same rate.

The practice is widespread in the financial sector and quite controversial aside from the article in Forbes.
The only reason it hasn't be fixed is that the people who benefit from it are the same people who donate the large contributions to politicians of both stripes.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The claim is NOT that's illegal, although it may be.

The whole point is that it's unfair to tax Romney's labor at 15% and tax the labor of doctorjj, MDT, and trdoc at 35%.
It's ordinary income and should be taxed at the same rate.

The practice is widespread in the financial sector and quite controversial aside from the article in Forbes.
The only reason it hasn't be fixed is that the people who benefit from it are the same people who donate the large contributions to politicians of both stripes.

I would almost bet, none of them pay an effective rate of 35%. Could you imagine if the tax code was simplified, the number of accountants out of work would be astonishing, but I think you're right about not being changed.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I look at carried interest just like a stock investment or any other investment that is held for more than a year. If they invest and risk their own money, and it takes longer than a year to develop the investment, whether they sell it, or divest it, it should get the same consideration as other investments.

Latest posts

Top Bottom