Weapon Light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like the mounting or switch on the X300. I'd get a TLR-1s. I have an x300 ultra and it is too bright for indoors. Once it's off you're blind for a few seconds. A laser on a pistol with a white light is dumb IMO. You can just use the hot spot for aiming.

It's not dumb at all. Obviously you can use the center of the light to aim but it's hardly as accurate as a laser dot. The light/laser combo also allows you to use the light for blinding the bad guy while holding the laser on point. Not to mention they are set to work together or individually so I easily switch to one or the other. Not long ago my home alarm alerted saying someone had opened a side door into my garage. I quickly found that I was having to drop my aim (covering the door from the garage to the house interior) while calling 911 and answering questions from the dispatcher (it doesn't sound like it's hard until it happens and your adrenaline is pumping). Once I turned the light and laser on I was able to easily keep my barrel on target while keeping the hall lit in case someone came through while I was on the phone. In this case the light laser combo worked fantastically together and I was never so happy to have paid the money for my Surefire. Fortunately everything turned out ok but I felt a lot better about having the laser/light.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope. It's dumb. Sorry.

Sounds cool but practically it's a waste. You shouldn't shoot a target in the dark without identifying it with a white light and if it is illuminated you can use the sights faster than a laser. Or you can put the hot spot center mass and go to town.

You should also only use any illumination device momentarily. Leaving it on down the hall may make you feel better but 170 lumens is hardly going to blind someone to the point they can't shoot you. If you can see where the light or laser is comming from you can just shoot the source through the walls.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, sorry, you're wrong. Doing a building search? Definitely you're not going to keep a light on. However in this situation I only had the use of one hand and using the light/laser from a barricaded position. Since the door in question was directly down the hall keeping it lit up allowed me to see if the door was being manipulated or opened while using the red dot of the laser to keep my point of aim as close to where it should be while being distracted by answering questions from 911. Anyone opening that door entering into a dark house except for a blinding light directly in front of their face is not going to be able to make an accurate shot even if they were able to shoot first, which would have been next to impossible. Sure you can use the light as sort of an aiming point but a laser point at house length where you have a second and a half before an intruder can be behind cover is WAY more precise and makes WAY more sense than just saying shoot where the light is. When I was a LEO we didn't have access to weapon mounted lasers or lights so we used the standard white light in one hand, gun in the other method. Works well when you have both hands free and can focus strictly on a search but that technique has shortcomings. Weapon lights fill some of the short comings, light/lasers fill even more. You can disagree all you like but you're still wrong. If using weapon light for all things is your preference, more power to you but your preferences don't change the facts.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope you're both wrong. You throw Twix down the hall. Nobody can resist that. Then when they go for it... put your hands up mother****er! Where I can see em!

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No colonel sanders, you're wrong...mama's right.

If I was an ex-LEO, I would have just turned some lights on in the house. I just don't like hanging a big white target on my center mass. Maybe you didn't consider multiple bad guys or the one bad guy going to look for another way in in another part of the house.

All jokes aside, what makes the surefire X400 worth the extra money over a TLR-2? It costing more makes you feel safer?

jmoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No colonel sanders, you're wrong...mama's right.

If I was an ex-LEO, I would have just turned some lights on in the house. I just don't like hanging a big white target on my center mass. Maybe you didn't consider multiple bad guys or the one bad guy going to look for another way in in another part of the house.

All jokes aside, what makes the surefire X400 worth the extra money over a TLR-2? It costing more makes you feel safer?

Surefire have better build quality, better durability.

jmoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Based on what?

Materials used, source of materials, manufacturing standards, and manufacturing process.

Not to mention the never ending list of SMEs that have verified this over and over again.

Will most people notice the difference? Probably not. If the light is going on a weapon used for defensive purposes, personally I want the unit built to higher specifications and durability standards.