What Do You Think About This Mini-Sub deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i think the point of the sealed hatch only being able to be opened from the outside is that even if they surface there isn't any escape. it could i guess float up on some distant shore someday but the folks inside will be trapped inside.
I really think that is unlikely, most likely it is far below the surface, neutrally buoyant, or it sunk like an anchor. Trapped inside? No doubt.

Any Navy Submariners on OK Shooters? Really curious to see what they have to say. Navy Submariners have been under the ocean at great depth and perhaps in the proximity of a nuclear reactor using U-235 as fuel, while worrying about russian subs, if that's not under pressure I do not know what is!

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really think that is unlikely, most likely it is far below the surface, neutrally buoyant, or it sunk like an anchor. Trapped inside? No doubt.

Any Navy Submariners on OK Shooters? Really curious to see what they have to say. Navy Submariners have been under the ocean at great depth and perhaps in the proximity of a nuclear reactor using U-235 as fuel, while worrying about russian subs, if that's not under pressure I do not know what is!
Any Navy Submariners I ever talked to and asked a question regarding their service, told me.....
that's classified. LOL

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Crammed into an inescapable tiny enclosure with 5 people sinking into the depths of the ocean sounds like a nightmare to me. Even before the accident.

I saw a video where a guy who had been in it said that it was very uncomfortable, there are no seats, you basically just sit on the floor and it is small like a minivan. He said they had some malfunctions and issues on his trip and he did not feel like it was very safe. There’s only one of these submarines, it’s a custom build by a billionaire, for billionaires. I wouldn’t trust it..

But considering the ticket costs more than I paid for my house, I don’t think I’ll have to worry about ever going lol.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.

Been there, done that, still have a few t-shirts.
The first boat I served on was the same class as the USS Thresher (SSN-593). The loss of the Thresher and "lessons learned" was part of our training and culture.
As I posted earlier, it is my opinion that the vessel suffered a catastrophic implosion instantaneously killing the occupants and the force of the implosion would have shredded the submersible and scattered it like so much confetti across the sea floor.

The implosive breach of the pressure hull would have resulted an instantaneous diesel effect inside the craft, incinerating and nearly simultaneously crushing the occupants. While it seems a particularly grizzly way to die they wouldn't have had a chance to say WTF?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i think the point of the sealed hatch only being able to be opened from the outside is that even if they surface there isn't any escape.
IIRC, it's not uncommon for deep sea vessels to have hatches on the pressure vessel that are sealed from the outside. The fewer penetrations of the pressure vessel, the better; if you have something that moves that penetrates the pressure vessel, it's even worse, because you have to have clearances for the movement. Water will try find a way in, and at those pressures, it's trying really hard.

And remember, Murphy was an optimist...

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the problem was they used the Logitech controller to interface, should have used this

1687304412786.png

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been there, done that, still have a few t-shirts.
The first boat I served on was the same class as the USS Thresher (SSN-593). The loss of the Thresher and "lessons learned" was part of our training and culture.
As I posted earlier, it is my opinion that the vessel suffered a catastrophic implosion instantaneously killing the occupants and the force of the implosion would have shredded the submersible and scattered it like so much confetti across the sea floor.

The implosive breach of the pressure hull would have resulted an instantaneous diesel effect inside the craft, incinerating and nearly simultaneously crushing the occupants. While it seems a particularly grizzly way to die they wouldn't have had a chance to say WTF?
Not a submariner, unless you count the ride at Disneyland back in the '60's. Have done crash and accident photography for autos and high-performance aircraft. Implosion would be crushing their bones among all the other damages. Including their skulls. Not exactly painless but very quick.
First off the other 5 would have to quit breathing all at once. Save air.
One of the passengers was the young adult son of another passenger. Personally, I hope they didn't even notice it happening.

Latest posts

Top Bottom