What do you guys and gals keep in your safe room/ fraidy hole?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Think ahead to your future. My brother had one of those underground metal ones installed and completely stocked it. Now that he has got older, he can't get in and out of it.
Good idea. My house is almost a natural storm cellar. It is earth bermed on the north with a 12" thick 6' tall concrete wall running the length of the house. There are also a couple of interior 6" thick concrete walls perpendicular to stabilize the 12" thick wall. If you know where to hunker down you'll have concrete on 2 sides of you..

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Water bottles, potty bags, batteries and lights. Rest of it is crap we bring down with us, like medication and ID. I have some touch lights and two USB powered light bulbs that hook into a phone/laptop power bank that I keep charged, down there. They are hung with some magnetic hooks, that go on the ceiling, of the shelter. Should last a long time if I ever need to stay down there more than the 15 minutes at a time, we have needed since we got it.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing I seem to be able to keep in the fraidy hole is a whole lotta water
I built mine dug into a fairly steep grade between my house and detached garage. I was able to put a floor drain in the cellar that exits about 20' downhill from the cellar.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a case of water, a 5 gallon bucket, a bag of kitty litter to add as needed for bathroom requirements, toilet paper, lawn chairs and a large flashlight with some lithium batteries that are supposed to last a long time.
If a storm is brewing, we keep some valuable documents handy to carry, cell chargers, firearms, ammo, and a change of clothes.

Just for some further discussion, we had some posts on Oklahomahunter.net about firearms after a tornado.
If not secured, S/N not available, they are recovered and probably destroyed depending on where they are found and what jurisdiction they are found in.
A lot of folks keep firearms in bedrooms, nightstands, etc, so be sure records are kept, and if given enough time, secure them in a safe.
An EF-5 can strip everything off of a slab, so a suggestion was to engrave ones ID on the safe so those that are recovered will be able to claim possession.
I think that's a legit suggestion.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Condoms. Ya never know. The neighborhood hottie blondie might want to jump in, so to speak.

Well a guy can dream, right?

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Two cases of boxed water live in the storm shelter along with a come along. Gloves, lantern, deck of cards, first aid kit, flashlights, hatchet, guns, ammo, and snacks live in a storm shelter bag. Need to add a battery operated fan. The document safe moves from the gun safe to the storm shelter.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom