What Do You Think About This Mini-Sub deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
"God Willing", in Arabic. Pakistanis are mostly Muslims. I didn't know many Pakis, but lived in Turkey for 3 years, 7 months in Saudi Arabia for Desert Shield/Desert Storm, and a month or so in Morocco.

The phrase has been compared to the Spanish "Manana", but without the sense of urgency of the Spanish word.
I thought that might be what it was. I guess I'm just a little surprised to see someone that's not muslim using such a phrase. Or maybe you are muslim. I don't know.

Doesn't manana mean tomorrow? :anyone:

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought that might be what it was. I guess I'm just a little surprised to see someone that's not muslim using such a phrase. Or maybe you are muslim. I don't know.

Doesn't manana mean tomorrow? :anyone:
No, I'm not Muslim, though I did investigate it, as well as Buddhism, Wicca, and a bunch of other faiths, including a number of versions of Christianity. I just lived/worked and explored several Muslim countries. I failed miserably at learning Turkish, but did pick up the usual social words & phrases. You hear that one all the time over there. They'll have your car fixed tomorrow, Insh'allah. The part you needed will be there next week, Insh'allah. A trainee pilot when the aircraft malfunctions, who is a Muslim, will likely take his hands off the controls, say Insh'allah, and wait for Allah to save him, or not. Oh, and when your car is not ready, or the part not arrived, once again they would say Insh'allah. Nothing they can do about it, it's God's Will that happened. That's the lack of urgency, compared to someone saying "Tomorrow!"

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My friend worked over seas and told me about that Insh'allah word.
He would ask when the plane parts would be there and that word was their answer.

One time he was asked when the plane would be finished and he said Insh'allah and the guy was happy with that and walked away.
:)
When God wills it.

I too wonder if that sub had even been tested or used for any dives.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He would ask when the plane parts would be there and that word was their answer.

One time he was asked when the plane would be finished and he said Insh'allah and the guy was happy with that and walked away.
When God wills it.

It had made several trips, as I understood it. Which is why it failed, probably. I used to be an aircraft mechanic for the USAF, on F-111D fighter-bombers. Just a young guy, only lasted about 16 months before I wrecked my knees. Then another decade as a still photographer, documenting equipment problems & testing on all kinds of aircraft, weapons systems, and accidents/incidents. My birds were notorious for springing fuel leaks because the epoxy sealant in the tanks would liquify in the heat & humidity. Also one of them was flown at Mach III, when they're only rated for Mach II. Damaged a lot of components, including the equipment bay doors for the avionics systems. Stress cracked, fasteners pulled through holes, etc cetera. Also USAF had to replace a bunch of B-52 bombers because the wing roots were cracking. When I was a young guy they had the sons of som of the original BUFF pilots flying them, and by the time I retired they were starting to have grandsons of the original pilots flying in B-52's. Ever watch a video of the BUFF launching, you'll see the wings flapping as they move on down the runway.

I commented earlier that all solid substances I'm aware of stress fracture eventually. Learned that on the aircraft & autos I've worked on. Among other things. :)

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

When God wills it.

This is supposed to be the second paid voyage down with this craft. That's what I read anyway.

OceanGate has stated that the Titan completed over 50 test dives, including to depths similar to those of the Titanic, both in waters around the Bahamas as well as in a pressure chamber.

However, previous trips in the Titan have also encountered issues, which have raised concerns about the safety of the vessel.

Reporter David Pogue was onboard the vessel in 2022 when communication was lost with the main ship for two and a half hours.

He later challenged Mr Rush in an interview, saying: ‘It seems like this submersible has some elements of MacGyver jerry-riggedness’.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is supposed to be the second paid voyage down with this craft. That's what I read anyway.

OceanGate has stated that the Titan completed over 50 test dives, including to depths similar to those of the Titanic, both in waters around the Bahamas as well as in a pressure chamber.

However, previous trips in the Titan have also encountered issues, which have raised concerns about the safety of the vessel.

Reporter David Pogue was onboard the vessel in 2022 when communication was lost with the main ship for two and a half hours.

He later challenged Mr Rush in an interview, saying: ‘It seems like this submersible has some elements of MacGyver jerry-riggedness’.
If the company survives all the lawsuits, maybe they should use the module once to visit Titanic, then do shallow-water dives in the Bahamas for a few years. With lots of strain gauges and monitoring equipment installed right from the git-go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom