What is Brass stamped RG?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am really picky about my brass and usually only reload what I have shot from factory new. However, while loading some 9mm today, I noticed some brass marked "RG" mixed in with my brass. It is possible that a friend of mine just picked up all the 9mm brass and threw it in, so not sure what manufacturer uses it.

Anyway, I didnt realize they crimped primer pockets on pistol ammo, but it sure looks like it. Primers wont seat.

Am I correct in thinking its a crimped primer? In the picture, I have no issues with any of the brass except that stamped RG.

Crimepd RG Brass?

Woodcutter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes this is Military Brass and it has crimped primers and you need a primer pocket reamer or swager to remove the crimp after it has been deprimed. It sounds like you got the old primers out, so it must not be Berdan Primed. If you have a chamfer / deburring tool (for case mouths) then you can use that for removing the crimp. Just do not remove too much metal or you will not have full side support of your new primer.

I am not sure, but RG may stand for Radway Green, a British ammo plant that makes Britan's small arms ammo.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, all. All I could find on it was some info about .303 brass, so I figured it was euro.

Your right, its not berdan. I've had some .45ACP that was berdan, but never come across it in a 9mm.

I do enough swaging with rifle brass, so I guess this will go into a pile and if I find someone who wants to deal with it, I guess Ill give it to them.

Once again, thanks.

Woodcutter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you lived closer to Tulsa, I would be thankful to have them. I do not mind a little extra work for free brass.

A word of caution to whoever ends up with them. Military brass is often thicker with a thicker web, reducing the internal capacity. If that is the case here, you must reduce the powder charge to it to keep the round from developing too much pressure.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you lived closer to Tulsa, I would be thankful to have them. I do not mind a little extra work for free brass.

A word of caution to whoever ends up with them. Military brass is often thicker with a thicker web, reducing the internal capacity. If that is the case here, you must reduce the powder charge to it to keep the round from developing too much pressure.

Ill set the aside as I come across them. I make my way to tulsa every now and then.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Headstamp RG is in fact Radway Green. They produce not only ammo but magazines for the Enfield bulpup. These mags work great in ARs ad are super easy to strip for ceaning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom