What muzzleloader bullet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bullet that I have used for years has been discontinued. So, I was wanting to know what you guys use and how much powder you're shooting in them. List what smoke stick you're using if you want.

I used to shoot a CVA optima with 180 gr saboted precision rifle qt ballistic tips. I may just have to go with another grain but am in the market.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot a Savage with smokeless, but even with the old style that I used black powder and pyrodex I found that tight fitting sabots or power belts always had better accuracy. I quit using power belts when I upgraded from a TC black diamond and went to the Optima. The Optima just wasn't a tight fit with power belts. I found a 250 grain Barnes Expander MZ worked very well in the accuracy and deer killing department. Since then I have always stuck with a Barnes and sabot. I have since switched to the Savage and shoot the 290 grain Barnes TMZ. It shoots really respectable at 300 yards and has more than sufficient energy. I may never shoot a deer that far, but can if I wanted. The no need to clean and mess up sight in is the single biggest reason I purchased the Savage about 5 or 6 years ago.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
T/C Omega .50 cal.

I've got 2 loads that I keep on hand.

.451 cal 300gr. Hornady XTP in a Black sabot over 120 gr. 777 2fg

.429 cal 240gr. Hornady XTP in a Green Crush rib Harvester sabot over 90 gr. 777 2fg

Swab and dry between shots.

Both loads chrony 1825 fps - 1850 fps out of my rifle.

I used the .44 for deer out to 100 yards and the .45 if I need more range or go after bigger animals.

I'd like to switch to Blackhorn209, but I've got a lot of 777 to burn up first.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
In the savage, hornady 250gr SST's, or an orange MMP sabot with a .458 300gr hornady hp. Powerbelts out the knight. 240gr hornady hp and a harvester sabot out of the flintlock for deer, round ball for paper.

Latest posts

Top Bottom