What to feed an AK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shodown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Herter's is also pretty good as well. It's just as cheap and on par as Tulammo, Wolf, Red Army etc. I've shot Herter's, Wolf, and Tulammo through my N-PAP and all have performed very well.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I typically avoid TulAmmo just because it tends to be the weakest ammo out of the bunch and less consistent in terms of pressures from bullet to bullet. For the same price, you could literally shoot any other steel ammo that is more consistent and has higher velocities.

Typically Ulyanovsk Ammo has nice high velocities as they are one of the few manufacturers that actually supplies ammo for the Russian military. They produced the fabled 8M3 round in 7.62x39 that was the standard issue ammo for the Russian Military for a a long while.

Despite the misinformation you hear from American shooters & Youtube personalities, 7.62x39 ball ammo (not softpoint or hunting ammo) is actually a poor round in that it has a tendency to create ice pick like wounds (almost worse than m855 out of a short barrel.) The bullets will go straight through flesh and bone with very little damage from yawing or tumbling. The Russians answered this by creating the 8M3 round, which is essentially a hollowpoint with the jacket scored on the inside that caused the bullet to violently fragment and yaw.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yugo Milsurp is the tits! That being said, it is rarely available anymore and you fookers ain't getting my 1250rd case....We will use candles before I would sell it to pay the electric bill....kidding.
Wolf ammo has always always always worked, Tula gets a bad rap. I got a few cans of tula, hope it works if the shtf, but it likely will. SKS/AK really do eat about everything.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I typically avoid TulAmmo just because it tends to be the weakest ammo out of the bunch and less consistent in terms of pressures from bullet to bullet. For the same price, you could literally shoot any other steel ammo that is more consistent and has higher velocities.

Ulyanovsk Ammo

isn't that the old white box stuff that was around. No retail label, etc. I have some, just don't want to dig out the cans and see if that is the name. It all shoots, the only thing I haven't ran was that tula, and I will eventually. But golden tiger is well thought of, and I am fairly certain Wolf really hasn't failed me. I really don't sweat an occasional dud, but when I am shooting $25/box centerfire, and you get a bad round it kinda irks you a little bit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom