What to read? What to read? Any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What to read.

Looking for recommendations.

I enjoy the Dystopian/Apocalyptic type of read.

Seem to lean more to the EMP type of TEOTWAWKI type story as opposed to the Aliens Invading stuff

And although I enjoy Walking Dead and World War Z, I'm not a huge fan of the zombie genre. Nor fantasy like dragons, wizards, etc

Also some good Action Adventure

So, here are some of the authors that I have read most of their stuff:

Lee Child's Jack Reacher
Nelson DeMille's Panther Series
Tom Clancy
Dan Brown
Vince Flynn
Stephen Hunter
Stephen King
Joel C. Rosenberg

Other books that I have enjoyed:

Matt Bracken's Enemies Trilogy
Unintended Consequences
Jason Bourne Series
One Second After Trilogy
Alas Babylon
Alas Las Vegas
Lights Out
Normal
Lucifer's Hammer
A Canticle for Leibowitz
FootFall
World War Z
Earth Abides
Jakarta Pandemic
A Boy and His Dog
On the Beach
The Postman
Ender's Game
Jurassic Park
Out of Gas by Randy Dyess
Deep Winter Trilogy by Thomas Sherry
The Forever War
Foundation Trilogy
The Ashes Series
Deathlands Series
The Survivalist
A Distant Eden Series by Lloyd Tackitt
36 Hours by Bobby Akart
Lord of the Rings

So...any suggestions?

Thanks

BTW, I have most of these in .epub format if anyone is interested in something.

Dave

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I’d recommend the Dark Tower seris, but i bet you’ve read it. Another really good couple along the same lines as World War Z is Day by Day Armageddon by J.L. Borne and the MorningStar Strain by Z.A. Recht.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm very much into dystopic themes too but for a completely different tack "12 Rules For Life" by Jordan Peterson and "Antifragile" by Nassim Nicholas were both awesome reads.

Antifragile really got the analyst side of my mind churning. Here's a small sample....

"Variability causes mistakes and adaptations; it also allows you to know who your friends are. Both your failures and your successes will give you information. But, and this is one of the good things in life, sometimes you only know about someone’s character after you harm them with an error for which you are solely responsible—I have been astonished at the generosity of some persons in the way they forgave me for my mistakes.

And of course you learn from the errors of others. You may never know what type of person someone is unless they are given opportunities to violate moral or ethical codes. I remember a classmate, a girl in high school who seemed nice and honest and part of my childhood group of anti-materialistic utopists. I learned that against my expectations (and her innocent looks) she didn’t turn out to be Mother Teresa or Rosa Luxemburg, as she dumped her first (rich) husband for another, richer person, whom she dumped upon his first financial difficulties for yet another richer and more powerful (and generous) lover. In a “nonvolatile environment I (and most probably she, too) would have mistaken her for a utopist and a saint. Some members of society—those who did not marry her—got valuable information while others, her victims, paid the price.

Further, my characterization of a loser is someone who, after making a mistake, doesn’t introspect, doesn’t exploit it, feels embarrassed and defensive rather than enriched with a new piece of information, and tries to explain why he made the mistake rather than moving on. These types often consider themselves the “victims” of some large plot, a bad boss, or bad weather.

Finally, a thought. He who has never sinned is less reliable than he who has only sinned once. And someone who has made plenty of errors—though never the same error more than once—is more reliable than someone who has never made any”

Excerpt From
Antifragile
Nassim Nicholas "

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
25b0693ab687e55bc4eeca709c5a44b6.jpg

“Crying is for babies, little girls, and men who just had their ears ripped off.”
- Oobedoob Benubi

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Canticle For Leibowitz, a classic. I read it such a long time ago. You might try the Game of Thrones series, i started reading those almost 20 years or slightly more ago. The Wheel of Time is a good series. The Hill Fights - The First Battle For Khe Sanh. and if you just want a good story that is remotely tied into another series but stands alone on it's own The Slow Regard of Silent Things. American Gods, anything by Neil Gaiman and Phillip Roth. When Robots Sleep Do They Dream of Electric Sheep

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm very much into dystopic themes too but for a completely different tack "12 Rules For Life" by Jordan Peterson and "Antifragile" by Nassim Nicholas were both awesome reads.

Antifragile really got the analyst side of my mind churning. Here's a small sample....

"Variability causes mistakes and adaptations; it also allows you to know who your friends are. Both your failures and your successes will give you information. But, and this is one of the good things in life, sometimes you only know about someone’s character after you harm them with an error for which you are solely responsible—I have been astonished at the generosity of some persons in the way they forgave me for my mistakes.

And of course you learn from the errors of others. You may never know what type of person someone is unless they are given opportunities to violate moral or ethical codes. I remember a classmate, a girl in high school who seemed nice and honest and part of my childhood group of anti-materialistic utopists. I learned that against my expectations (and her innocent looks) she didn’t turn out to be Mother Teresa or Rosa Luxemburg, as she dumped her first (rich) husband for another, richer person, whom she dumped upon his first financial difficulties for yet another richer and more powerful (and generous) lover. In a “nonvolatile environment I (and most probably she, too) would have mistaken her for a utopist and a saint. Some members of society—those who did not marry her—got valuable information while others, her victims, paid the price.

Further, my characterization of a loser is someone who, after making a mistake, doesn’t introspect, doesn’t exploit it, feels embarrassed and defensive rather than enriched with a new piece of information, and tries to explain why he made the mistake rather than moving on. These types often consider themselves the “victims” of some large plot, a bad boss, or bad weather.

Finally, a thought. He who has never sinned is less reliable than he who has only sinned once. And someone who has made plenty of errors—though never the same error more than once—is more reliable than someone who has never made any”

Excerpt From
Antifragile
Nassim Nicholas "

Nassim Taleb is my favorite author. I have read, and often reread, these four books of his:

Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets.

The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable.
Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder.
Skin in the Game: Hidden Asymmetries in Daily Life.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom