What would you use to shoot turtles around the pond?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what you posted, I would still think a suppressor is legal on a turtle.

Most common turtles in ponds are none of the listed ones in the section, nor are turtles considered game animals. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

That would be cool if you can use a suppressor on non-game animals. Anyone know a game warden?

jej

bill allen

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are there any air rifles that are accurate out to 40 yards? I am going to be moving out to this property so I am going to be shooting turtles for a long time .

progun40

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is that a joke?

Isn't there a rule here about not promoting illegal activity on this forum?

Any moderators awake this morning?

Turtle hunting is heavily regulated by OK Wildlife. "Silencers" are prohibited.

From their website:
====
Silencers

Silencers may not be used to hunt game animals, game or nongame birds.

=====

The conservation status of Oklahoma’s turtles is just as diverse as the range of species. The capture and possession of all turtles is regulated by the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation under specific reptile regulations that can be found in OAC Title 800:25-7 Part 3, or OAC Title 800:15 Subchapter 9. A hunting or fishing license is required to trap or collect turtles for personal use; a commercial turtle harvester license is required to trap aquatic turtles commercially. Three species of turtles are sufficiently rare that closed seasons have been established to prohibit the trapping, possession or killing of these species. These closed-season species are the Alligator Snapping Turtle, the Western Chicken Turtle and the Common Map Turtle. The two species of box turtles, Three-toed Box Turtle and Ornate Box Turtle, can be collected for personal use but all commercial trade is prohibited in large part because their low reproductive rate makes their populations vulnerable to local depletion in the event of over collection. The remaining species, all of which are aquatic, may be collected for personal use or may be trapped commercially from private waters with an approved commercial turtle harvest license.

====

Look, I like that OK does not prohibit NFA weapons and silencers. I don't much care for the prohibition on their use in hunting [and I am not sure if it is based on federal law], but the prohibition is there.

If I am wrong on this, I'd like to be educated.

jej

Ooops....guess this makes me a felon because I murdered one yesterday that was laid up on a log catching some sun in my pond.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me personally, I would go talk to my nieghbors and let them know what I was doing.
Then it would be one of my rimfires along with the G'kids helping out.
My property, my business.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i dont think pond sliders or "stinkin jims" as my grandpa calls them are very rare, and i dont think regular snapping turtles are either. Personally i've shot turtles with a .22, .223 and a 12 gage. Years ago i killed a gigantic snapper that was eating a dog..no shite

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure a .22 is even that effective with turtles unless you hit them in the head or the neck area. In my experience it has not been, though I shoot from probably over 100 yards in many cases. I've had pretty good luck with a .223, however. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom