Whats a good .22 pistol for fiancee to start with?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-leblanc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i took my fiance shooting a few times and shes shot my glock 19, glock 23 and ruger lcp and everytime was so terrified of the recoil that she couldnt hit a target directly in front of her. She really wants to learn to shoot but her shot flinch is ruining it. So i want to get her a .22 pistol to learn the basics with and help break that fear of the kick. then slowly work her up to higher calibers. SO ..... whats a recommended pistol to start with?

benschne

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought an advantage arms .22 conversion for my glock 17 and have taught 4 new shooters with it. Usually I let them run through about 200 rounds of .22 and upgrade to the 9mm when they get comfortable. Plus, it is great cheap practice for you!

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about a walther p22? Mine runs great with even the cheapest ammo from walmart. Not any issues after 400rds of federal bulk. Mine has the laser, girls love shooting it at the range. NIB was $349

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She might be interested in my class. Firearms For Women - see www.FireArmsOnTarget for more info. Class is designed for women who have not shot much. We shoot about 13 diff handguns, starting with .22 and moving up in caliber. Class is from 8 -2 on May 14 and June 4th. First half of class is learning how to operate a handgun and being safe with one, learning about caliber, weight of guns, etc., the second half we go to the range and shoot the guns. I have learned that spending time to mentally prepare a new shooter helps with the sound and recoil, also verifying that shooter is using the correct grip.

IMO - the Beretta Neos, S&W 22A, Ruger, and Walther all make great .22 semi autos and as was stated every person should own one and be shooting one from time to time.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Rugers are not exactly easy to take apart and clean, the Neos is easy to break down. I've never owned any other .22 handgun, but the gun you get for her should be easy for her to clean.

Latest posts

Top Bottom