what's the best tritium sights for Gold Cup 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterGrubbs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I often run a tritium front dot, hi viz fiber optic rears. I do this on all of my handguns when I can.

As far as what's best, if that's truly what you're asking, it's completely personal preference. Most people have one brand they like more than the other because either they like the looks and size of them, or they've had a more positive experience with them.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This thread is from 2009, seems like more/better options...LOL
Fibreoptic on front Black out on rear...8)

probably not .. please keep in mind that 1911 Gold Cup front sights are staked in place as John Browning originally intended.
fast forward to 2014 ... one of the only stake-on front sights are Trijicons, which requires a special Trijicon 1911 front sight swaging tool for armorers.

home.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_sights.JPG

original sight before twisting off
home.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_sights1.JPG

home.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_sights2.JPG

home.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_sights3.JPG

home.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_sights5.JPG

home.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_sights_20tool.JPG

home.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_sights_20done.JPG

Last edited:

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yup .. clamp swages the stake but note how carefully Hi-vis sight body is supported during swaging.
there's several styles of staking tools and home made versions like mine.

www.blindhogg.com_pics_tool2.jpg

Trijicon swaging tool for armorers.
www.shotgunnews.com_files_2014_05_Trijicon_6.jpg

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This thread is from 2009, seems like more/better options...LOL
Fibreoptic on front Black out on rear...8)

The Gold cup cut is a goofy proprietary cut, not much out there. You might be able to mill a bomar cut out of one but that's a question for Mike or the Dr.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Gold cup cut is a goofy proprietary cut, not much out there. You might be able to mill a bomar cut out of one but that's a question for Mike or the Dr.

was not aware 1911 Gold Cup had a goofy cut, had no problems installing mine with a std Hi-Viz sight.
back then word was Hi-Viz was winding down production for staked 1911 front sights.

didn't go with bomar cut because I was too chicken to mill out slot :D
still glad I went with fiber optic vs tritium .. logic is tritium sights are pretty dim and need almost total darkness to be effective.
one needs to be 100% sure of what you are shooting otherwise you got no business pulling the trigger in almost total darkness.

yes there are situations where there will be exceptions, but odds are I'm not going to be in em.
sooo for me having a much brighter front sight during daylight exceeds the value of having a front sight visible in almost total darkness.
as always your mileage may veri ...

Trijicon 1911 staked front sights comes in thin and thick posts at Brownell's.
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/front-sights/1911-tritium-front-sights-prod13171.aspx

thin tenon
www.brownells.com_userdocs_products_p_892500100_2.jpg

wide tenon
www.brownells.com_userdocs_skus_l_892501101_1.jpg

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The rear is what I was talking about. To me the gold dot is the best of both worlds but I still like my night sights. The gold cup really isn't much of a carry gun IMO or rather there are a ton of other guns with normal rear sight cuts I'd rather take. A F/O makes perfect sense for a target gun though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom