Wheel Weights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I separate the Zn, but I keep it. In the past I have rendered Zn down and poured it into ingots for use as trotline weights. Those weights I gave to the tire store guys, so they would quit grumbling about me taking their lead weights.

Now I don't have a good use for the Zn weights - which are actually Zamac, a Zn/aluminum alloy - but I still keep them. Eventually I will render them into ingots, and sell them back to the scrap yard, if I can't find another use.

One of my cousins owns a cannon, maybe he wants the Zn.

OK4ster

Marksman
Reaction score
A bit of triva from my wealth of useless information. Towards the end of WW2 the Germans were low on lead so they starting casting 9mm bullets from zinc. The bullet was pointed instead of rounded and was loaded hotter. It was marked for SMG use only.

After the war some of this ammo was sold as surplus. Only problem is that ammo would punch holes in most indoor ranges backstops. Including one range that using the amour plating meant for a light cruiser that never got built.

Now this may be a fable but I have heard it from several people and the late Skeeter Skelton wrote about it in a gun mag.
Elvisammo on You Tube has a good video about casting bullets with zinc.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My source for lead has three types of weights.

Regular wheel weights.
I generally use for pistol bullets.

Zinc.
I have no use for and usually get trashed.

Stick on wheel weights.
These are a softer lead that I use for shotgun slugs and buckshot.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the 60’s and early 70’s my late uncle worked for USPS in So Cal and he “found” enough wheel weights to cast thousands of 45 caliber 200gr SWCs. Good stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom