Wheel Weights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepjackazz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's the consensus, or go to for info? I may be coming Into another drum of them and have always separated the lead vs zinc... are the zinc good for anything? Who in here cast themselves?

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can't mix the two together, the zinc ruins the lead plus zinc takes more heat to melt
and is hard on molds because of the heat.
separate the two, keep the WW, sell the zinc for scrap.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I separate the lead, WW’s, and everything else into separate piles. Melt WW’s and lead separately into ingots. Discard or recycle whatever is left. When I cast I use 2 to 1 WW / lead. Not too hard or too soft. I cast for 44 SP/mag,45 auto/ 45 LC, 38/357. Stir the pot often and flux any time I add more ingots. Haven’t had any issues (yet).

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A bit of triva from my wealth of useless information. Towards the end of WW2 the Germans were low on lead so they starting casting 9mm bullets from zinc. The bullet was pointed instead of rounded and was loaded hotter. It was marked for SMG use only.

After the war some of this ammo was sold as surplus. Only problem is that ammo would punch holes in most indoor ranges backstops. Including one range that using the amour plating meant for a light cruiser that never got built.

Now this may be a fable but I have heard it from several people and the late Skeeter Skelton wrote about it in a gun mag.

Latest posts

Top Bottom