When elk hunting, why would you use bear spray instead of a gun during a bear charge??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If these two guys were elk hunting, I would assume that they must have had some type of firearm(archery?) to hunt with. Why would they use "bear spray" instead of a gun in a bear charge. Also, Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks Chief Information Officer Greg Lemon said FWP would not attempt to capture the bear because it's believed the bear attacked in self-defense------the bear attacked in self defense????. Something sounds screwy in this bear tale, ya think?

http://www.ktvq.com/story/36294465/man-survives-grizzly-bear-attack-near-ennis
Man survives grizzly bear attack near Ennis
Posted: Sep 05, 2017 3:39 PM CDT
Updated: Sep 05, 2017 3:39 PM CDT

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah.....yelling at a feeding bear they just surprised...why?
Would expect Ursus to interpret that as an attack with no good outcomes for these hunters.
Even Fido can get touchy about two strangers interrupting supper, yes?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most people can't shoot accurately under pressure, and a bear coming at you faster than a horse can run is intense pressure. If your rifle is shouldered with a sling, you likely won't get it off fast enough to aim and shoot, although the story is about archery. Just using a rifle as an example.
Bear spray is not like wasp spray. It's not a stream like wasp spray to "aim". Bear spray puts out a large fog that the bear runs into.
If the wind is wrong, the person spraying it will get just as much as the bear and it's some powerful stuff. But if it deters the bear, it's better than a mauling.
Personally if I'm hunting in dangerous bear country, I always take a buddy. My .25 acp is the weapon of choice for me against bears. If one is charging or threatening, I shoot my buddy in the knee cap and run like hell!!!!

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most people can't shoot accurately under pressure, and a bear coming at you faster than a horse can run is intense pressure. If your rifle is shouldered with a sling, you likely won't get it off fast enough to aim and shoot, although the story is about archery. Just using a rifle as an example.
Bear spray is not like wasp spray. It's not a stream like wasp spray to "aim". Bear spray puts out a large fog that the bear runs into.
If the wind is wrong, the person spraying it will get just as much as the bear and it's some powerful stuff. But if it deters the bear, it's better than a mauling.
Personally if I'm hunting in dangerous bear country, I always take a buddy. My .25 acp is the weapon of choice for me against bears. If one is charging or threatening, I shoot my buddy in the knee cap and run like hell!!!!

Spot on about the bear spray. Shoot your buddy in the knee and he'll drop to the ground and play dead. Now all the bear sees is his dinner trying to run away........

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Spot on about the bear spray. Shoot your buddy in the knee and he'll drop to the ground and play dead. Now all the bear sees is his dinner trying to run away........
Nah, knee cap shots hurt too bad to lay there and play dead. If the bear is real hungry, the buddy is easy meat. Blood smell on him and all that.:bolt:

Latest posts

Top Bottom