Where are my MARINE brothers? SOUND OFF!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
activerain.com_image_store_uploads_3_8_8_0_7_ar132098494870883.jpg

Reading the squid thread made me think we needed one for us Marines too. Ooh-RAH!

I'll go first:

1986 MCRD, San Diego, 1st Battalion, Platoon 1113
1987 Quantico, VA - Computer Science School MOS 4063
1987-1992 Camp Pendleton, CA, 1st FSSG ISMO with an attachment to BSSG-5 during Desert Storm

Left active service honorably after 6 years as an E-5 Sergeant of Marines.

Floated over for the fun in the sandbox on board the USS Juneau, debarked in Al Mishad and tried to keep up with the 5th Marines forward elements.

Participated in various Pacific exercises and spent time on board most of the gator Navy including the Tarawa, Belleau Wood, New Orleans, Tripoli, etc...

Had a nice vacation in Honduras once.

Enjoyed the summer of 92 on our Battallion Rifle & Pistol team.

Spent most of my early time making early first generation laptops talk over radios using encrypted packet radio protocol so I had the opportunity to go out with a bunch of different units in the field to test and prove the technology. After that, I helped build, run and maintain the largest Banyan network in the world on Camp Pendleton.

Fun times. I miss it most days, especially the comradery and living daily life knowing that without a doubt, and under any cirucmstances, that my brothers had my back. I guess they still do though... :)

i48.tinypic.com_n16s94.png

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MCRD San Diego - 1984 (don't remember which Bn & Plt)
Stinger Surface To Air Missile School, Ft. Bliss, TX - Summer 1984
MCAS Cherry Point NC - 1984 -1988 MACG 28, 2nd FAAD Battery, 4th Platoon (later 2nd LAAD Bn, Bravo Co., 3rd Plt)

I spent 6 months on the USS Saipan in 1986 as part of the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Unit - Special Operations Capable, and the USS Trenton (Yuck!) for 6 months in the Persian Gulf as part of the Marine Air/Ground Task Force 2-88. I picked up my Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal and Combat Action Ribbon during Operation Praying Mantis in April, 1988. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Praying_Mantis

I got out as a Corporal after 4.5 years in September 1988 (I extended my enlistment for 6 months to go to the gulf). I hit 18 different countries on my travels and generally enjoyed it. However, I was a rolling stone in my early days and wanted to move on after my enlistment was up. It was certainly bittersweet in March 2003 when I could've retired, but I think I made the better decision by moving on. I generally disliked most of the "career" Marines when I was in! :)

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HMFIC, you need to add Uncle Sam's Misguided Children to the thread tags. Misfit Army Riding In Navy Equipment is another good one.

U.S. Navy Rules to Gunfighting
1. Adopt an aggressive offshore posture.
2. Send the Marines.
3. Drink Coffee

candrpotts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1977 MCRD San Diego
1977-1978 MCB Twenty Nine Palms (way before it was redesignated as the joint forces live fire area)
1978-1983 Camp Lejeune, NC
Mostly served in support MOS's, main frame data processing (back in the dark ages!), competitve shooter, etc. Too young for Viet Nam, wrong MOS for Beruit.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1985 - 2006
9 years 0311/8531
12 years 0402/9648

Moved 11 times in 21 years. Too many places to list but I had some great duty stations and some not so great.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Enlisted, in order to not be drafted (I'll show them by God!) October 1971
Attained the exalted rank of Sergeant of Marines
Commissioned as Regular Officer, March 1976
Retired as a Major, February, 1992
Infantry Officer 0302 (primary MOS)
Recon Marine; jump/scuba qualified (secondary MOS)
Assignments included 2nd Recon/Force Recon; MSG Bn; CO G/2/3; US Mil Obs Grp Palestine, CO MarBks, Rota Spain; 4th Force
Been on lots of Big Gray Boats
Been boots on the ground in numerous foreign countries; many made primarily of sand
Not all of the above was under friendly circumstances
Successful at not dying for my country
Expert Rifle/Pistol Badge (see above for motivational inspiration)
Semper fi

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom