Where to find good tomatoes...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A retired guy nearby plants 125 tomato plants, potatoes, green beans, squash, and corn. He is very fair in prices. He will even give me vegetables if I bring the remains by after cleaning fish. He has a furrow dug that allows him to quickly cover up the fish.
Great fertilizer. I tried it, but our dogs would dig up the remains and they were house dogs which got me in instant trouble with the boss as they needed multiple baths to remove the smell after they rolled in the rotten carcasses. Even had staked cages around them that they dug under.
Don't know why dogs to that but ours did, so I was banned from using fish guts.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to change the subject, but, Does anyone else remember Black Diamond Water Mellon's? Not the through-ing size ones, but the BIG ONES! 80/100 pound ones? A guy I worked with was on a trip in Arkansas and saw a guy selling watermelons on the side of the road near Hope Arkansas. This guy had grown the world record watermelon several times, and had a truck load of black diamond melons that were not big enough to compete! He said he didn't have any on the truck , 2.5 ton truck, that weighed less than 100 pounds! The guy I worked with bought two of them, and brought one to work! Without a doubt the best watermelon I ever tasted! I used to find these on the roadside venders around here, will not 100 pounds, but big enough to tast good 50/60 pound, but all I can find now is little knotty melons like we used to feed the hogs when I was a kid! If anyone know where I can find some big Black Diamond melons I would appreciate it!

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to change the subject, but, Does anyone else remember Black Diamond Water Mellon's? Not the through-ing size ones, but the BIG ONES! 80/100 pound ones? A guy I worked with was on a trip in Arkansas and saw a guy selling watermelons on the side of the road near Hope Arkansas. This guy had grown the world record watermelon several times, and had a truck load of black diamond melons that were not big enough to compete! He said he didn't have any on the truck , 2.5 ton truck, that weighed less than 100 pounds! The guy I worked with bought two of them, and brought one to work! Without a doubt the best watermelon I ever tasted! I used to find these on the roadside venders around here, will not 100 pounds, but big enough to tast good 50/60 pound, but all I can find now is little knotty melons like we used to feed the hogs when I was a kid! If anyone know where I can find some big Black Diamond melons I would appreciate it!
Doesn't Rush Springs area grow Black diamond melons? I mean, I know they can but will any be available when they have their festival? I don't recall any being in the 50-60 lbs range even when growing up as a kid and they were more prevalent. 100 lbs? Never seen one that size.

Here's a tomatillo salsa recipe:
8-10 medium size tomatillos
4 jalapenos - remove stem. Leave veins and seeds if want hotter.
1/2 small onion diced
1 lime
1 C cilantro
1 T cumin
1 T garlic powder or 1 clove minced
1/2 t chili powder
Salt to taste
Peel and wash tomatillos. Put in dutch oven with boiling water. Add jalapenos. Boil until the tomatillo skins start to break. Spoon out into a blender. Juice the lime into the blender and add remaining ingredients. If want hotter, use serranos or more jalapenos. As Dennis stated, salsa is all taste specific BUT be sure to write everything down.

Simple pico de gallo:
Follow above recipe, with below exceptions, but don't use a blender.
Dice the onion first and put into a non reactive bowl. Squeeze lime juice on onions and let sit for 30 mins or an hour. It will break down the onions.
Replace tomatillos with 4-5 diced vine ripened tomatoes. Dice up the jalapeno and cilantro. Mix all together then start tasting/modifying for you and your family. If some don't like the chunky pico style, pour into a blender and hit it a couple of times then more like a salsa.

Grill the jalapenos and onion first if making a salsa. The char adds some good flavors.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesn't Rush Springs area grow Black diamond melons? I mean, I know they can but will any be available when they have their festival?
A friend of my dad's is from the Rush Springs area, and he used to bring my folks Rush Springs watermelons and cantaloupes. I seem to recall him saying that they'd been moving away from Black Diamonds in favor of something else, but that was a while back.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesn't Rush Springs area grow Black diamond melons? I mean, I know they can but will any be available when they have their festival? I don't recall any being in the 50-60 lbs range even when growing up as a kid and they were more prevalent. 100 lbs? Never seen one that size.

Here's a tomatillo salsa recipe:
8-10 medium size tomatillos
4 jalapenos - remove stem. Leave veins and seeds if want hotter.
1/2 small onion diced
1 lime
1 C cilantro
1 T cumin
1 T garlic powder or 1 clove minced
1/2 t chili powder
Salt to taste
Peel and wash tomatillos. Put in dutch oven with boiling water. Add jalapenos. Boil until the tomatillo skins start to break. Spoon out into a blender. Juice the lime into the blender and add remaining ingredients. If want hotter, use serranos or more jalapenos. As Dennis stated, salsa is all taste specific BUT be sure to write everything down.

Simple pico de gallo:
Follow above recipe, with below exceptions, but don't use a blender.
Dice the onion first and put into a non reactive bowl. Squeeze lime juice on onions and let sit for 30 mins or an hour. It will break down the onions.
Replace tomatillos with 4-5 diced vine ripened tomatoes. Dice up the jalapeno and cilantro. Mix all together then start tasting/modifying for you and your family. If some don't like the chunky pico style, pour into a blender and hit it a couple of times then more like a salsa.

Grill the jalapenos and onion first if making a salsa. The char adds some good flavors.
The world record black diamoind melon grown at Hope Ark. was grown by Lloyd Bright, it weighed 268.8 pounds. The current world record melon was grown by Chris Kent of Sevierville, Tennesse and weighs 350.5 pounds, and is a stripped melon!

Woodman 59

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
10th and Rockwell, on the weekend's liquor store parking lot. Also on 23rd and Meridian, Jiffy lube parking lot. Good luck and happy hunting.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 'secret' ingredient in my salsa is dill pickle juice. Just a splash makes a surprisingly good difference! I've found that I like the juice from the Klausen Kosher Dill Pickles the best. I keep the juice in the fridge after I've eaten all the pickles.

Try it, you'll like it!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom