Where's all the bucks....?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Saw 4 bucks and many doe. I shot a BIG 12+ at 25 yards.
This was in the last hour of the official season. I'm gonna track him n the morning. It got too dark. I don't understand how a deer could hop up minutes after a direct 270gr .50cal with 100 grains behind it. I saw him take it, it knocked him flat on his ass. Ive never had to track a deer. But I hope I'll find his big ass in the morning. Any tracking tips?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw 4 bucks and many doe. I shot a BIG 12+ at 25 yards.
This was in the last hour of the official season. I'm gonna track him n the morning. It got too dark. I don't understand how a deer could hop up minutes after a direct 270gr .50cal with 100 grains behind it. I saw him take it, it knocked him flat on his ass. Ive never had to track a deer. But I hope I'll find his big ass in the morning. Any tracking tips?

Blood, blood, blood.
But if that doesn't happen, Look for birds hovering about. If it was gut shot, they tend to run down hill, Lung shot uphill.
When deer get shot and panic, they run thru anything, so look for "trails" in the brush/woods where there are small broken branches.
Good luck!

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never like HAVING to do it, but I really enjoy tracking deer. Good luck man, hope you find him. Only tip I can think of, if you lose, cant find trail, go check local watering holes before you give up. I've never had one do it on me, but I have come across a few in ponds and creeks. Found a big nice 10pt in the river behind the house.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Blood, blood, blood.
But if that doesn't happen, Look for birds hovering about. If it was gut shot, they tend to run down hill, Lung shot uphill.
When deer get shot and panic, they run thru anything, so look for "trails" in the brush/woods where there are small broken branches.
Good luck!

Thank you. I'll email ya some deer chilli. Haha
I aim for vitals, it was a very close shot. But somehow if I magically missed my exact point of aim(which is unlikey,lol) it was close too it.

I didn't see any blood?!?! I could have easily miss it tho. I was a lil excited.
He darted 20 yards straight into a empty creek(about 5-6 deep). Behind the creek is pretty much open field with few cedars and brush. I doubt he could of jumped the creek wall with the injury. But the are amazing creatures so I expect alot from him.

One more question? How long do I have to find him? (How much time before meat starts to go bad? With the overnight temp on mind?

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I aim for vitals, it was a very close shot. But somehow if I magically missed my exact point of aim(which is unlikey,lol) it was close too it.

I didn't see any blood?!?! I could have easily miss it tho. I was a lil excited.
He darted 20 yards straight into a empty creek(about 5-6 deep). Behind the creek is pretty much open field with few cedars and brush. I doubt he could of jumped the creek wall with the injury. But the are amazing creatures so I expect alot from him.

One more question? How long do I have to find him? (How much time before meat starts to go bad? With the overnight temp on mind?

Before I log out an hit the sack, thank y'all for the help.
Sure is alot of great people here on Okshooters. God Bless & Happy Hunting to y'all.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

If you get to it first time in the am and get some Ice on it, you should be ok.
Take the ice with you.

I'll have to look in my archives, but the biggest buck by weight was killed with a bow and fell into a creek, unbeknownst to me. I looked for that buck for awhile and finally went back to the point of the shot.
Followed the tiny blood trail for 10 yds and spotted some small flecks at the edge of the creek saw a spot of blood coming up from the water, followed by another.
Animals, as well as humans sink when they drown. Fished around in the creek and found the buck.
Just don't give up.

JEEPr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard some guys use Hydrogen Peroxide in a spray bottle to track deer after they're shot. The Peroxide will bubble when it comes into contact with blood. I haven't had a chance to try it since I got skunked this Muz Season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom