Which Caliber Would You Keep?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say have as many guns in as many calibers as you can afford.

I agree with ben. Even if I don't keep ammo on hand for everything, I like the option of it being there.

......with the exception of .40 S&W. :)

In all seriousness, I have strongly considered getting a Glock or M&P in .40, a .357 Sig barrel and a conversion 9mm barrel. I'd probably never shoot it as a .40 or .357 unless we have another ammo crunch, but I'd like the option. It'd basically be a few hundred dollars of insurance.

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not in a real world scenario. Unless of course martians, zombies, or some other country invades us...

when you start shooting more than 50 rounds a year, ............let us know.

100's to 1000's of rounds per month per individual is a normal shooting experience for me. I feel it takes this much to remain proficient with firearms. If I was in competion it would be 10X this amount. Shooting is not having a gun with rounds on the shelf. It is a way to pass the time and have fun. That is why I stated earlier "buy a 22 for practice".

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
oh jeez...

Im going to sufficiently stock up with a couple thousand rounds in 9mm and .45 each but if an apocalypse came they wouldnt be getting shot with a pistol anyways...

call me crazy but if you are stocking up for the apocalypse in only/primarily pistol calibers then you are doing something wrong

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it would be 9mm if shooting factory ammo.
- cost less to practice
- less recoil and i feel a little more accurate
- more cartridges in a mag/gun
- studies show bullet placement is more important than mass of bullet

when i know i am going to be in a bad area, i feel better with 17 in the gun than 9 or 10 cartridges. carrying a second mag and i have 34 vs 18, a big difference. i also have a concern of more than one bad guy coming at me - again, i like the idea of more cartridges.

Liv2Dive2

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're going to reload I would keep the 9mm, you'll find that they are actually much cheaper to reload than 40 cal. As others have said shot placement is much more important than caliber in home defense situations...so whatever you shoot more accurately the fastest is the best choice.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you keep buying and never sell. one day you will have so many calibers of guns you will always be able to find ammo for one of them. some day I'll be there. better investment than the stockmarket.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'd better hope the SHTF in your backyard, otherwise you're gonna need a semi to haul it around so you'll have it when you need it. Oh, wait a minute, you live in Tulsa. You might be doin' the right thing. :D

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'd better hope the SHTF in your backyard, otherwise you're gonna need a semi to haul it around so you'll have it when you need it. Oh, wait a minute, you live in Tulsa. You might be doin' the right thing. :D

HEY, I resemble that remark!!!

Don't deny it, just resemble it.....