Which gun for hog hunting....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which gun should I use and what ammo would you put it it?

• Total voters

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked the 257 because I have shot plenty with both the AR and 257. Pigs aren't hard to kill but they just don't bleed profusely from little holes. Stationary targets are easy to roll over but after the first shot they run.
As with anything others have different experiences.

I assume the reason you are hunting the hogs is for table fare as much as fun so thats why I point you to the heavier bullets...just my opinion.

As I've stated before when hog hunting I choose bigger bullets, but my passion is predators so AR's are in my hands when coyotes are the target. I do see hogs when hunting coyotes and shoot them on sight; every one I see and if they die right there fine but if they run off...fine too. They are a destructive animal.

This coming weekend me and a buddy (my gunsmith) are gonna try out an AR he built for me in 6SPC (6.8SPC necked down) on hogs. I can't wait and this may be the best of both worlds...wish us luck :)

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked the 257 because I have shot plenty with both the AR and 257. Pigs aren't hard to kill but they just don't bleed profusely from little holes. Stationary targets are easy to roll over but after the first shot they run.
As with anything others have different experiences.

I assume the reason you are hunting the hogs is for table fare as much as fun so thats why I point you to the heavier bullets...just my opinion.

As I've stated before when hog hunting I choose bigger bullets, but my passion is predators so AR's are in my hands when coyotes are the target. I do see hogs when hunting coyotes and shoot them on sight; every one I see and if they die right there fine but if they run off...fine too. They are a destructive animal.

This coming weekend me and a buddy (my gunsmith) are gonna try out an AR he built for me in 6SPC (6.8SPC necked down) on hogs. I can't wait and this may be the best of both worlds...wish us luck :)

luck man! I'd wish you a whole lot more luck if I were there with you!

racing1g

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take an AR15...with a .50 Beowulf upper, there will be no doubts when you shoot one. I shot an armadillo with mine, I know it's a considerably smaller target but it looked like he was hit with a cruise missile. :thumbup3:

Flyboy

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm with surjimmy: if anything goes wrong, and Porky decides to charge you, you'll want something that will anchor him. Nothing says "stop" quite like a big, fat .45-70. It'll have the power to break bones and smash joints that a .223 just won't. A 12-ga slug would also be effective, but will damage a lot more meat unnecessarily.

A .45-70 in the neck will kill cleanly without excessive meat damage and still have the power to break a shoulder if need be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom