Which one would you choose?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have wanted a 2018 or above Mustang gt for several years. If I had one I'd want a super charger.

But recently I've wanted a lincon mks awd w/the 3.5 echo boost. I would want to change the turbos. I think it would be a good sleeper.

BTW the lincoln would be approximately 1/2 the price.

Which one would you choose and why?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would get the Mustang. The difference between buying a sports car and buying a family sedan and making it quick is huge to me.

Before and after I had my M4 I considered a 6mt 5.0 coyote mustang. Figured I would go for a stripped down model, and go this route:

delete back seat.
Replace everything I could with carbon fiber.
chassis reinforcement.
All new suspension
all new interior for the most part. Wrap everything in cognac colored leather, black/gold accents on everything.
Stereo stuff, of course.
mild engine work, prob shoot for 700ish HP NA.

I still think about it. Mustangs are reasonably nice, and thankfully, cheap/easy to work on.

Side note: from what I have heard, OCPD is likely ditching their tauruses over the next few years, and last i head, some of those were the AWD 3.5 ecoboost version. I could be wrong though. But, if you wanted something cheap cheap to slap some bigger turbos in, that could be a good route to go. Better coolers, chassis reinforcement, less extra crap/weight (after all the cop stuff has been pulled out) are all things that you find in most cop cars vs their civilian counterparts. If I am not mistaken its the same platform as the MKS, so you could always swap some interior stuff around if you wanted. Most likely. Wouldnt be an ideal daily, but could be a fun track/race car/street sleeper.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
. If I am not mistaken its the same platform as the MKS
The MKS, Taurus, and PI were all on the same platform after 2007. (The Explorer and PIU were on a variant of that platform from 2011 until they went back to RWD in '20.)

As to which to choose, I think it would depend on what you want to do. There is (or was) some aftermarket support for the SHO, but nothing like there is for the Mustang. It's also going to be easier to find replacement parts for the Coyote's drivetrain thanks to the F-150 using the same basic engine and transmission (if you get the slushbox rather than the man transmission).

The guys I used to know who bought the EB35 MKS really liked it, FWIW.

I'd suggest checking out SHOForum ( SHO Forum ) for info and ideas on the powertrain. I haven't been active there recently, but it used to be a great little community, and it looks like many of the good folks are still there.

As for which I'd choose, I'd probably look at the MKS first because the Mustang doesn't fit my carcass particularly well. If you want a real sleeper, though, you might look for an EB35-powered Flex. I'm told that it will get up and move...

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1957 Chevy 4 door 210 vs 2015 supercharged mustang.
Mustang has 3.73 gears and 6 speed standard transmission.
It was modified with a blower pulley swap for more boost and tuning and other mods to make 550 wheel HP.

But in my mind you need to know how to drive a stick and slip the clutch to get low 60 foot times or just go automatic with 4500 rpm stall converter.

I do not care for the new stuff but if the car can't hook or is too heavy it just will not be quick.

Pick the one you can make the lightest.
Everyone assumes a mustang is going to be fast so the sleeper vibe is not there.

Buddy sold his 2015 mustang.
Rear wheel bearing failures and that 6 speed liked to break.

Race starts at the 1/2 way mark in the video.

My car did not even make 300 wheel hp.
There are more 10 second engines that there are 10 second cars.
I was told that many years ago.
Pretty true.

Racing on the highway at 150mph is a different story though I have no idea which way you are going with this dream build.

https://www.sscc.us/

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2019 (pre pandemic) Mustang GT Premium PP1 with Magneride and active exhaust, with the A10 automatic. If you MUST have a manual, then either get a Bullitt or GT350, so as to avoid the Getrag MT82 spongeblow transmission.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2019 GT, M6, MT82, had a 2014 MT82 Track pack. No transmission issues. Both not exactly stock, but no supercharger. I have driven extensively the Lincoln MKS Ecoboost as well, a 2016 model. I do know if I want to get a Supercharger I can upgrade the Driveshaft and rear halfshafts to avoid spontaneous disassembly, not so sure on the Taurus SHO or MKS. The Mustang is not stock, is comfortable enough to drive 18 hours with no back issues or comfort issues. The MKS is cushy, but at the end of the day a Turbo V-6 and Fast, but the Mustangs were two seconds quicker with no mods. Livernois Performance does have kits that can get the Taurus and Lincoln into the 10's. To add to @swampratt s admonition, the Mustang does have a problem with hooking up (watch the videos of Mustangs leaving cars and coffee and resulting mahem.) The MKS hooks up very nicely with AWD. Only issue I have with the 3.5 Ecoboost is I feel the Coyote V-8 is tougher. To get the best 1/4 mile out of any Mustang the stock drag setting with a stock or mildly modified Coyote, you can expect low 12's (12.4 or a little less) with the M6 if you can hook up just right with stock tires at 26 lbs and 3.55 gears.) Back to the MKS, more potential to be a sleeper. AWD will catch many street brawlers by surprise. They will underestimate your car, or just try to embarrass you and spin the wheels off. You do not need to be a really, really good driver with a modified MKS.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2019 GT, M6, MT82, had a 2014 MT82 Track pack. No transmission issues. Both not exactly stock, but no supercharger. I have driven extensively the Lincoln MKS Ecoboost as well, a 2016 model. I do know if I want to get a Supercharger I can upgrade the Driveshaft and rear halfshafts to avoid spontaneous disassembly, not so sure on the Taurus SHO or MKS. The Mustang is not stock, is comfortable enough to drive 18 hours with no back issues or comfort issues. The MKS is cushy, but at the end of the day a Turbo V-6 and Fast, but the Mustangs were two seconds quicker with no mods. Livernois Performance does have kits that can get the Taurus and Lincoln into the 10's. To add to @swampratt s admonition, the Mustang does have a problem with hooking up (watch the videos of Mustangs leaving cars and coffee and resulting mahem.) The MKS hooks up very nicely with AWD. Only issue I have with the 3.5 Ecoboost is I feel the Coyote V-8 is tougher. To get the best 1/4 mile out of any Mustang the stock drag setting with a stock or mildly modified Coyote, you can expect low 12's (12.4 or a little less) with the M6 if you can hook up just right with stock tires at 26 lbs and 3.55 gears.) Back to the MKS, more potential to be a sleeper. AWD will catch many street brawlers by surprise. They will underestimate your car, or just try to embarrass you and spin the wheels off. You do not need to be a really, really good driver with a modified MKS.
Are you still using the stock shifter with your MT82? Glad you've had no issues with it. Do you ever Auto X or track it?

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1957 Chevy 4 door 210 vs 2015 supercharged mustang.
Mustang has 3.73 gears and 6 speed standard transmission.
It was modified with a blower pulley swap for more boost and tuning and other mods to make 550 wheel HP.

But in my mind you need to know how to drive a stick and slip the clutch to get low 60 foot times or just go automatic with 4500 rpm stall converter.

I do not care for the new stuff but if the car can't hook or is too heavy it just will not be quick.

Pick the one you can make the lightest.
Everyone assumes a mustang is going to be fast so the sleeper vibe is not there.

Buddy sold his 2015 mustang.
Rear wheel bearing failures and that 6 speed liked to break.

Race starts at the 1/2 way mark in the video.

My car did not even make 300 wheel hp.
There are more 10 second engines that there are 10 second cars.
I was told that many years ago.
Pretty true.

Racing on the highway at 150mph is a different story though I have no idea which way you are going with this dream build.

https://www.sscc.us/

I can attest the 57 is quick, surprised the **** out me when I got a ride in it!!! Fastest Deer Hunting Mobile I have been in!

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you still using the stock shifter with your MT82? Glad you've had no issues with it. Do you ever Auto X or track it?

I have thought of upgrading the shifters on both, but two friends have thought the shifting was really good stock. One friend had a 300z, the other a Camaro who did have an upgraded hurst shifter. As for the 2014 Put 80K miles on it of power shifting and burnouts, only problem with the MT82 was a clunk when downshifting into 1st occasionally, I think the driveshaft was the issue. I did have the diff fail on the 2014 (it stopped whining and mileage went way down so it was partially locked but that whining issue I should have reported under warranty it happened at 72K miles.) Haven't auto crossed or tracked it, have "experimented" on the street with the racing computer in drag mode. Yes, I do get it that 1/4 times don't mean crap until you get to the track and actually try to beat the clock. I can say this, the 2019 has been faster that a 2014 and 2016 Mustang, faster than a Hemi 392 charger, Faster than a 6.4 Challenger and Faster than a 2018 Camaro SS. It was slower than a BMW M5 with a double nickel roll, but not much. I did lose one totally to a GMC Terrain AT4 due to worn rear tires and I kept spinning them. BTW, the Terrain was not stock, he spun all four tires. I didn't realize he was racing me until the light changed, and I could hear his tires burning. I spun the rear tires, backed off and spun them again. That AT4 was definitely a sleeper.

Latest posts

Top Bottom