Who is taking a kid turkey hunting this weekend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took my 12 year old cousin and dad took my 9 year old cousin. We had a great time and birds all around us, but no birds in the freezer. The hens were sure making a lot of noise and the toms sure didn't want to leave them. I think in a couple weeks when some of the hens quiet down a bit we might have better luck. Tell you what though, my little buddy grant and I had a heck of a time and he was shaking like a leaf at the first sight of those tom struttin'!

shady

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is my daughters first bird!!!!!!!!!!! She is 12 and has been with me a few times and felt she was ready to try the challenge for herself. We had about 12 hens and a HUGE tom come in from our left and another tom came from our right. The two toms starts fighting and we had six or seven more toms come running down the hill towards us. We debated for a couple of minutes on which one to take. She picked him and brought him home. She had to change clothes for the picture.(I guess camo is not girly enough)

ai454.photobucket.com_albums_qq265_ShadyShay_album_IMG_8136.jpg

ai454.photobucket.com_albums_qq265_ShadyShay_album_IMG_8135.jpg

Reaction score
Tweren't a single solitary gobble heard, nor a bird seen in a half day of hunting Lexington public land with my nephew - kind of a bust, but fun anyway. Should have taken the fishin poles with....

Funny cause I saw a hen pecking right of the shoulder of I-240, near Dougles Blvd and Stanley Draper lake, yesterday morning. Thought it to be a good omen, but I was mistaken. :)

larkinmusic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The nephew and I hunted Cherokee this morning and struck out. We did have one gobbling at us but we couldn't close the deal. Not very many hunters out this morning, we only saw three other groups.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 5th grade niece has been hunting with her dad. They went on our lease over by Glencoe on Sat morning and had a flock coming to them fast when a neighbors horses ran up and chased the birds off. They all flew except 1 big tom and he would just about get into range and the horses would chase him away. He could not run the horses off cause the tom was always in view. This afternoon they got to go back out there and hadn't set up long when this jake came in quick to a few yelps. She shot him at 34 yrds with my youth model 20 ga. 870. All my kids took turkeys with it and I am letting my brother's kids use it till my grandkids get big enough. Congrats to all you other successful hunters. It is great to see the young girls getting out there too.
ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_IMG_1005.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom