1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Who will apply for work at Tesla in Tulsa?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SlugSlinger, May 19, 2020.

1. SlugSlinger

SlugSlinger Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I am going to apply if they build in Tulsa.

Tesla could build its third US factory in Austin or Tulsa

Tesla has narrowed down the potential sites for its third Gigafactory in the US, according to Autoblog. The automaker has reportedly chosen Austin, Texas and Tulsa, Oklahoma as the finalists for a new assembly plant — possibly its biggest one yet — dedicated to building the Cybertruck, its upcoming pickup truck, and the Model Y.

Company chief Elon Musk recently threatened to move Tesla’s headquarters to Nevada or Texas as a result of Alameda County’s decision to keep its Fremont factory closed through May. Tesla announced its search for a third factory back in March, though, before Musk became a vocal critic of coronavirus—related lockdowns. Musk chose to defy lockdown orders and restart Tesla’s production in Fremont, but whether the company truly is moving its headquarters remains to be seen.

It’s not entirely clear if there are places in the running other than Austin and Tulsa, but locations vying for large companies’ factories and HQs typically submit proposals to show what they can offer. As company chief Elon Musk previously told WSJ, the final selection depends upon several factors, such as the incentives they can give out. Logistics costs, access to a large workforce and quality of life are major points of consideration, as well.

DavidMcMillan likes this.
  2. SlugSlinger

SlugSlinger Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Mayor of Tulsa says the city will buy Cybertrucks to use as police cars if Elon Musk picks it for Tesla's new factory

G.T. Bynum / Twitter

As creative renditions of Tesla's planned Cybertruck flourish online, Tulsa, Oklahoma, has a particularly strategic one.

In a tweet, the Tulsa mayor appeared to tell CEO Elon Musk the city would buy the truck for police use.

Last week, Tesla representatives scouted Tulsa and Austin, Texas, as locations for the company's fifth factory, where it will build the truck.

Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

The mayor of Tulsa, Oklahoma, is using anything he can to entice Tesla to build its next factory there.

In a tweet to Tesla CEO Elon Musk on Sunday, Tulsa Mayor G.T. Bynum said it would "only be right" to buy local if the carmaker set up shop in his city. He paired his tweet with a sleek rendering of Tesla's Cybertruck as a Tulsa police squad car.

Last week, company representatives scoped out Tulsa and Austin, Texas, as candidates for Tesla's fifth factory, The Verge reported. The factory will eventually produce the company's Model Y and Cybertruck. Musk has previously hinted on Twitter that the company is scouting locations.

Musk told investors on an April 29 call that its decision would be made in the next three months and as soon May.

In a statement posted to Facebook, Bynum said he couldn't comment on the negotiations but continued to court Tesla.

"While I cannot comment on potential projects, it is clear that Tesla and Tulsa were forged in the same spirit," he said. "Both founded by pioneers who dreamt big and made it happen. Both trying to change the world with a new kind of energy. Both investing big in what matters most: people. Tulsa is a city that doesn't stifle entrepreneurs — we revere them. And as Tesla continues to rapidly change transportation all around the world, I can't imagine a better place for them to further that important work than Green Country."

Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt said that with names so similar, Tulsa should be the obvious choice for Tesla.

"To the press, we can't comment on any pending proposals," Stitt said, according to local media. "To (Tesla CEO) Elon Musk and Tesla, the people of Oklahoma love our trucks, we love our rockets and we would love to partner with you here in our great state. As a Tulsan myself, I can tell you that confusing the names Tulsa and Tesla has happened more than once, so it would only be appropriate to have a Tesla factory right here."

The police rendering is far from the only way digital creatives on the internet have envisioned Tesla's Cybertruck, which Musk debuted in 2019 with an unexpected glass-breaking event. Renditions of the truck as an RV base, race car, and more have popped up.

3. BReeves

BReeves Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    If I were still in the work force I would in a heartbeat.

4. NikatKimber

NikatKimber Moderator Staff Member

Rating
    100%
    I will. Have already shopped their careers page.

5. cal7.62x39

cal7.62x39 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I'm in for a career. I use to work in the GM plant before they closed as a third party QA inspector. I got paid crap and was always jealous of the pay and benefits the actual employees got. COME ON U.A.W.!

6. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I will! I can run a push broom quite well.

7. MR.T.

MR.T. Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I won't, as I don't live close enough, & am not willing to move.

But I gotta say
    Tesla of Tulsa has a nice catch to it.

8. JD8

JD8 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Where are all those boys flingin poo his way recently?

It won't happen in Tulsa in my opinion, our schools suck and Texas has no income tax. I will happily eat crow if they come here, and I will buy a truck.

davek likes this.
  9. Dumpstick

Dumpstick Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Not if it's a union shop.

I won't join a union. If I have to join to work, I'll do something else.

Not that I would work for Elon Musk anyway. He's a world-class hog feeding at the public trough.

If it weren't for tax credits and shady Govt deals, he would be just another 2 bit shyster. As it is, he's a billionaire shyster.

Neckbeard and dennishoddy like this.
  10. k4ylr

k4ylr Sharpshooter

It's funny since we've legislated away the ability for Tesla to sell direct to consumers here in OK....we want you, but not that bad.

I hope they do pick Tulsa. The state as a whole needs new revenue streams apart from O&G. We have acres of space doing jack all and it's cheap.

There's scuttlebutt that they've already picked Austin and are just using Tulsa to lever a better deal. We already bent over for the Omni/Convention Center deal.

ZGXtreme, dennishoddy and Cards81fan like this.