Why all the Taurus hate?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjoe.45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wanted to see what some other members have experienced with Taurus in the past. I am not interested in what you have "heard or read" but rather what you have seen first hand. I have had several Taurus pistols which have all been very serviceable. First was a PT99 that I shot thousands of rounds out of with no issue (Maybe not a fair comparison as it is borrowed design) a 1911 Duotone that has fed everything I have thrown at it and has been a real surprise. I have a Kimber Eclipse and the Taurus is 90% as good for 50% the cost and last is an M640 Black Friday special that so far has been good, I don't like the trigger as much as some others but appears to be a steal for the $. I know there are you out there that have sent far more lead down range than I ever will so I respect your opinion but from some these pistols get lumped in with High Point and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have one and had others. I think their quality has improved over just the past couple of years but they're certainly still the gun for a person on a strict budget. But my experience hasn't been one of regret. I do like them but they're definitely not my first choice.

copertop80

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my opinion, they have copied everything they have released. So they get catch some disdain for that, I love thier guns and I've had a few, revolvers and semi-autos. From my dealings with taurus I've NEVER had one problem with anything they've put out. Can't say that of the S&W's that I've owned or the H&K's or a mairaid of other brands that I've owned. HOWEVER BigJoe don't worry about everyone hating on Taurus, if they get too popular then taurus will jack the price up, just like they did with the judge.

Like previously mentioned, Taurus is just as good or sometimes more gun at a fraction of the costs. Some may look at the Taurus as the "save on" brand of all the other guns, so the'll catch some flack for that too. But if you build a product that is just as good or in some cases better, and are competitive with the pricing then the manufacture is no longer just a copier, then they are competition. I'll be a Taurus fan forever.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a PT 111 and a 709 slim. Both had horible triggers and the pt 111 jammed. I also had a Taurus Raging Bull in 454 Casull that was a great gun. I will never own another one of their autos, but maybe a revolver.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned two in the past yrs, one revolver and one semi, a PT1911.....both shot great, the pt1911 never jammed once, spit out everything I fed it. It was really a good shooter.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned three with absolutely no problems, still have two of them.
I have a couple buddies who have owned them with mixed results.
tR on the forum has a TCP that is a great shooter, wish I could talk him out of it.
In the past they have had some issues, don't know if they're fixed.
I think it's hit or miss, great or crap.
But they do have a decent warranty, but how many return trips to get one fixed?
Such is life.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom