Thoughts on current production Taurus revolvers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was wondering about what people think about the new production Taurus revolvers as there are 2 that have caught my eye, the 327 in .327mag and the Tracker in 44mag. I know most people would rather have a S&W, a Ruger or Colt, but I had a family member lose their job recently and I've been helping out with her bills and don't have the disposable income I had a few months ago, so budget guns it is for now. I know Taurus doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to QC, but my first pistol was a Taurus PT145 and I had no issues with it and a lot of people online have been singing the praises of their new subcompacts, so it's been making me wonder if Taurus is making a comeback in terms of quality.

Just wondering what the hivemind thinks

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Caleb Giddings was hired by Taurus a couple of years ago. I think they got Dave Sevigny too, but they have apparently listened to them and have made a serious effort to improve their QC. I think Caleb was just promoted to Marketing Director.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Caleb Giddings was hired by Taurus a couple of years ago. I think they got Dave Sevigny too, but they have apparently listened to them and have made a serious effort to improve their QC. I think Caleb was just promoted to Marketing Director.

They have a long road in front of them. I’ve owned 2 Taurus .357 revolvers. They would shoot 38’s flawlessly. When you fired a .357 the cylinder would lock and you would have to disassemble it and reset the spring in order to free it up. Disassembling a loaded hand gun is disconcerting at the very least.

I’ll never own another Taurus in any configuration. YMMV

OKgetdown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a new 856 2 inch barreled in stainless last December. It’s had 350-400 rounds through it so far. So far so good. Lock up and timing are still good. Trigger smoothed in pretty nice. Accurate for what it is. I know it’s limited use and round count, but this particular revolver seems solid. May work it’s way into the carry rotation.

I think if you give it a good inspection first you should be good.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Their TX22 is pretty sweet.

For their revolvers though… I don’t know. I’ve heard they have gotten better but I just don’t know if I’d buy one. Definitely wouldn’t buy one to defend my life with.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
They have a long road in front of them. I’ve owned 2 Taurus .357 revolvers. They would shoot 38’s flawlessly. When you fired a .357 the cylinder would lock and you would have to disassemble it and reset the spring in order to free it up. Disassembling a loaded hand gun is disconcerting at the very least.

I’ll never own another Taurus in any configuration. YMMV
Did you send it in for warranty work and did they fix it? Lately seems that even the big American names have issues as well...Sig 365, S&W Sigma line was pretty much crap when they came out. Seems like another big company just had issues as well here recently.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned 3 Taurus Judge revolvers. Still have one of them. I've not fired them a lot. But the little I did shoot them they worked fine. I've had others that didn't, though...but they were mostly from 20 years ago or more.

Not a revolver...but I do have a TX22 and I love that thing. It's got several hundred rounds and counting of cheap .22 ammo through it with never an issue.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
20211217_192348.jpg

Have had this 85 for several years along with a M65 357 and have put a lot of rounds down range with zero issues with either revo. Have also had a Rossi 357 and another 85 that I wish family members would return, thieving kids :laugh6: :cool:

Last edited:

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Their TX22 is pretty sweet.

For their revolvers though… I don’t know. I’ve heard they have gotten better but I just don’t know if I’d buy one. Definitely wouldn’t buy one to defend my life with.

I was impressed enough by the TX22 that I have a 2nd one on order due to my daughter "stealing" the 1st one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom