Why do so few gentlemen remove their hats indoors anymore?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the world would be a better place if everyone worried about themselves and not what others are doing with their hats.

I think the world would be a better place if everyone (including those wearing hats) would be mindful of those around them and where they are. Respect and courtesy never a bad thing.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because I damn well please. I don't have to answer to anyone but the Lord All Mighty. There are a few places I will take a hat off at like church, national anthem, a wedding, a funeral, a cemetery if it is not cold and the Alamo.

When the pants are worn right, people mind their own business, and the media stops sensationalizing everything then I might take my hat off to please others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wear a baseball hat most of the time outside of work, formal restaurants, and other places where finer dress is required. I never remove my hat. With hat hair, I'd probably look more appropriate and less offensive wearing the hat.

I do remove it for the National Anthem at baseball games, though. Always.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a bald head if a business can't afford to keep the heat turned up high enough for me to be comfortable I will wear my fleece beanie inside, otherwise I'll stuff it in a jacket pocket . Summer is a pain because there really isn't anyplace to hang your hat, fortunately as a family of 3 in a booth theres an open spot to toss your hat rather than plopping it down on the table where it gets in the way of everything.

I don't wear ball caps unless I am at a ball game, working outside, or shooting. I find them otherwise socially unacceptable as proper head gear.
Winter time is a fleece beanie.
Summer time is a twisted straw fedora.

I still hold the door for the person behind me and my wife drives me nuts by quick stepping in front of me and opening the door before I can get to it.

My son gets the door and holds the door when he is out with us in public. He has been trained well.

Dwelling on others lack of manners is a waste of time, and counter productive. I lead by example, my son does an admirable job of following my examples. I could care less about anyone else unless it directly affects me, such as blocking my view at a movie theater, play, concert, etc. In which case I will politely ask the offender to remedy the problem, which has always worked well, much better than starting a thread bitching about it.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Outside of church, I wear a ball cap where ever I want. Find it disrespectful? What ever happened to the whole MYOB, splinter vs plank in the eye, he without sin cast first stone...?

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't wear a hat when I go out to eat, church, funeral, etc. I wear a straw or felt cowboy hat or a baseball cap most other times and if I go into a place to eat I leave my hat on because it looks better than my hair.

Cedar Creek

Latest posts

Top Bottom