Why no one invades Switzerland

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can only maintain isolationism if

A.) You're economy doesnt depend on import/export
B.) All the other countries leave you alone

But yeah, theoretically, isolationism is the tits.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think another major reason Switzerland has never been invaded, even in WWII, is that it has never followed an interventionist foreign policy. in other words, they mind their own business and just don't ever give anybody a very good reason to be pissed at them. They didn't get in on any of the carving up of Europe after WWI, which was the main reason Germany attacked Poland, Czechoslovakia, and France in 1939-1940.

I think our nation would be a lot safer and richer if we followed their example... just mind our own business in the world, while maintaining a strong defensive military force and armed populace, then sit back and trade with everybody and become rich. Let the other nations play the "world police" game and go into debt sending their troops on foreign adventures that do nothing other than make more enemies.

Who in their right mind would attack a country that gives no provocation, and has the most sophisticated military as well as the largest armed populace in the world? I'm sure such a foreign policy would keep us a lot safer than the one we've been following for the past century.

Prior to December 7th, 1941, the United States was much like you described. The country was divided by those thinking we should get involved in the War in Europe, while others wanted to remain isolationists and let them fight it out. We had a superior military (though it wasn't widely known at the time), and most citizens had firearms, and, we for the most part minded our own business (except for sending some assistance to Europe in the form of goods and weapons). Then one day, Japan lost it's mind. But it did happen.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prior to December 7th, 1941, the United States was much like you described. The country was divided by those thinking we should get involved in the War in Europe, while others wanted to remain isolationists and let them fight it out. We had a superior military (though it wasn't widely known at the time), and most citizens had firearms, and, we for the most part minded our own business (except for sending some assistance to Europe in the form of goods and weapons). Then one day, Japan lost it's mind. But it did happen.

And Hitler declared war on the US. Otherwise we would have fought the Japanese and just continued lend/lease with the allied powers.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Hitler's declaration was just a "going thru the motions" kind of thing. They'd already sunk several of our ships trying to get aid to Europe. And still we refrained.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Before 12/7/41, what we had was a public who by and large believed in a non-interventionist foreign policy, but an administration that was very interventionist. Also, the New Deal was fizzling... the Depression was still in full swing, despite the vast expansion of governmental power and spending championed by President Roosevelt. Roosevelt needed another cause to get the public behind his agenda again.

Japan didn't just one day lose its mind... look up the Japanese Oil Embargo. They were involved in a major land war in China. The Japanese military committed lots of attrocities, the most famous being the "Rape of Nanking." Roosevelt, the interventionist, wanted us to get involved, but the public was pretty bummed about WWI (which was actually an unpopular war back then) and didn't want to become militarily involved with another conflict halfway around the world that had absolutely nothing to do with us. Roosevelt had to figure out another way to get us involved. He got his Democratic Congress to pass an oil embargo against Japan that would continue until they withdrew from Manchuria -- we controlled a lot of the major oil-producing islands in the Pacific, and Japan was buying the vast majority of its oil from American-owned oil companies.

The oil embargo had the effect of cutting off 97% of Japan's oil supply overnight, when it was in the middle of a major war. Japan had two choices... either give in to foreign demands, wave the white flag of surrender in Manchuria, and go home; or seize our oil-producing territories in the Pacific and keep the oil flowing. Even back then, it wouldn't have been too hard to predict what their reaction would be. Surrender wasn't an option, especially for the honor-obsessed Japanese culture. However, they knew if they seized our islands, they would soon be facing the wrath of our Pacific Fleet. The fleet would have to be taken out preemptively. The rest is history.

I have seen several people referring to isolationism. Guys, there is a big difference between isolationism and non-interventionism. Isolationism means no foreign military intervention as well as no foreign trade. What I am advocating is a foreign policy of non-interventionism, meaning that we only use our military to respond to actual military threats, but with a free trade policy. Basically, its a foreign policy that is in keeping with the government's one proper role, which is to protect the liberty of its citizens: nobody's money is taken to finance foreign crusades that have nothing to do with their own liberty (and tend to threaten it, more than anything), and everybody's right to associate freely with others on mutually consensual terms is respected.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think it was after the Swiss were invaded (by Napoleon’s France???) and later reestablished their independence they vowed that they would never be invaded again. Since then, invading Switzerland would be a very costly operation. They are well armed and motivated with very sophisticated artillery, armor and surface to air capabilities. And … they have some really hot babes that can operate crew served weapons while drinking hot chocolate.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And … they have some really hot babes that can operate crew served weapons while drinking hot chocolate.

Werd.

The most attractive women I've ever seen were in Switzerland.

I came driving in over the Alps from France in my rental car, and at the first intersection I stopped at in Switzerland, a perfect 10 that could have been a model came walking across the crosswalk like it was a runway or something. There were plenty more where that came from.

Babe, if you are reading this, I mean Switzerland has the best looking girls except for you! ;)

Regina

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not that impressed with Switzerland, and don't believe they're a good model for us Americans.

Every able bodied man trained and expected to fight within a war or military action? Sounds good in theory, until you remember that for every soldier on the front line there are entire units dependent on him and he on them. If any one of them cannot fulfill their duties to the best of their abilities, a lot of people suffer the consequences. I think the best policy is volunteering for service so that the man or woman next to you has a desire to do their job which your life is dependent upon.

Keeping our nose out of everyone's business? Also sounds good in theory, unfortunately it won't fly either. There are probably many CCL holders on this forum so we'll put things into perspective this way.
You are well trained in defensive tactics and you're armed with a 9mm and a taser. You're pumping gas at a store in the middle of nowhere and you look inside as there are two men stabbing the store attendant. There is a "no guns sign" at the door. Here's your options:

Drive away and not look back. (Pretty much what Switzerland does.)

Call 911 and wait for the police to arrive, knowing that you're way out of their usual patrol area and by the time they get there, at no fault of the officers, the store attendant will be dead. (This is somewhat like waiting for UN to get involved)

Decide that even though your presence isn't wanted and you could lose your CCL, the store attendant's ignorance regarding CCL holders isn't worth the store attendant's life. You call 911 and go in, doing what you can to stop the attack. (This is like the US military in a whole host of military actions)

Personally, I'm taking the 3rd one. I'm probably going to be called an idiot, arrested, and be involved in a lengthy court battle because the circumstances in which I acted were complicated. (Attackers were in the commission of a felony, loss of life was evident, so I had a right to intervene. However, I entered a domain unowned by me and didn't adhere to their conditions of being within that domain by bringing my firearm inside.) But I was better armed and better trained than anyone in that store and felt a moral obligation to stop the loss of life.

In that mind set, having a powerful military is a priority for our country's defense ... but I feel a moral obligation to those countries that aren't in a position to stand up for themselves.

So I'd much rather be a redheaded Okie woman than some Switzerland babe any day of the week ;).

(Great conversation, looking forward to more!)

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not that impressed with Switzerland, and don't believe they're a good model for us Americans.

Every able bodied man trained and expected to fight within a war or military action? Sounds good in theory, until you remember that for every soldier on the front line there are entire units dependent on him and he on them. If any one of them cannot fulfill their duties to the best of their abilities, a lot of people suffer the consequences. I think the best policy is volunteering for service so that the man or woman next to you has a desire to do their job which your life is dependent upon.

Keeping our nose out of everyone's business? Also sounds good in theory, unfortunately it won't fly either. There are probably many CCL holders on this forum so we'll put things into perspective this way.
You are well trained in defensive tactics and you're armed with a 9mm and a taser. You're pumping gas at a store in the middle of nowhere and you look inside as there are two men stabbing the store attendant. There is a "no guns sign" at the door. Here's your options:

Drive away and not look back. (Pretty much what Switzerland does.)

Call 911 and wait for the police to arrive, knowing that you're way out of their usual patrol area and by the time they get there, at no fault of the officers, the store attendant will be dead. (This is somewhat like waiting for UN to get involved)

Decide that even though your presence isn't wanted and you could lose your CCL, the store attendant's ignorance regarding CCL holders isn't worth the store attendant's life. You call 911 and go in, doing what you can to stop the attack. (This is like the US military in a whole host of military actions)

Personally, I'm taking the 3rd one. I'm probably going to be called an idiot, arrested, and be involved in a lengthy court battle because the circumstances in which I acted were complicated. (Attackers were in the commission of a felony, loss of life was evident, so I had a right to intervene. However, I entered a domain unowned by me and didn't adhere to their conditions of being within that domain by bringing my firearm inside.) But I was better armed and better trained than anyone in that store and felt a moral obligation to stop the loss of life.

In that mind set, having a powerful military is a priority for our country's defense ... but I feel a moral obligation to those countries that aren't in a position to stand up for themselves.

So I'd much rather be a redheaded Okie woman than some Switzerland babe any day of the week ;).

(Great conversation, looking forward to more!)
But in reality, you only went in to get free gas. ADMIT IT!

Latest posts

Top Bottom