wild boar moving?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad has been out hunting pigs all week and has only seen one in the evening. It seems funny because a month ago we had them all over us. So it would seem that they are doing the nocturnal thing. I do wonder if the dry weather pushed them into the swapey areas? We put a pretty good licking on them last time we where there so pressure might have something to do with it. hunting Tishomingo area.

Yes, the pigs like to stay close to water. The hotter the more water. They lay in mud, to keep bugs off and to stay cool.

hawkfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never hog hunted but now you guys have sparked my interest. Is there any hogs on the public WMA's or does anyone even bother to look on public land? I'm close to Ft. Gibson, but I'd travel to shoot some bacon.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, there are WMA's with hogs. Three Rivers and Honobia have plenty, and I know down at Love Valley WMA around Thackerville there are some. Some of the other guys in here mentioned some in the northern part of the state, but I'm a southern boy so I don't know anything about the yankee parts of the state. The regs on hogs on Three Rivers and Honobia are a bit different than statewide seasons.

Hog Hunting on Three Rivers, Honobia Creek and Broken Bow WMAs
Honobia Creek, Three Rivers and Broken Bow WMAs will only be open to feral hog hunting during deer archery, youth antlerless deer gun, deer muzzleloader and the first nine (9) days of deer gun season, with the appropriate means of take for that deer season. Hunters also must comply with all deer season and WMA regulations, including the required Land Access Permit.
All feral hog hunters must possess a valid hunting or combination license, unless otherwise exempt, and a filled or unfilled deer license for the appropriate season during the youth antlerless deer gun, deer muzzleloader and/or deer gun seasons, unless otherwise exempt.

And why the regs say you can only hunt hogs during deer season in an area that has probably the largest hog population in Oklahoma is beyond me. I see no point in that law whatsoever.

Since we have been getting some rain the past couple of weeks, I have seen an increase in hogs rooting around and coming out of the thick areas and into the meadows. Ground is softer and worms/grubs are closer to the surface I would imagine. Before, it was so hard I don't think they could even root it up, or wasn't worth the effort. Damn things can tear up an anvil, so if they woulda wanted to root it I'm guess they could have.

Stillhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think they have started their migration yet. Just not enough cold weather in the Northern states to push them down in big numbers. Soon though!

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going on my first hog hunt this Saturday morning. I can't wait! Just recently started shooting a bow. First a traditional recurve (100 arrows a night in the backyard with the little lady shooting also), we shot a couple of 3D matches and had a ball. Then the other brother-in-law brought his Mathews compound over and I was hooked, so I bought a Reezen 7.0 a couple of weeks ago. Got it sighted in and have been practicing. Picking out a compound now for the little woman now so she can hunt with me.

The brother-in-law that loaned me his recurve knows someone near him (close to Beggs) that has counted 50 hogs on his property. So we hope to decrease their numbers on Saturday. Of course I'll pack my 1911 just in case my arrow isn't fatal and they come after me.

I can't wait!

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tear 'em up sniper! If things work out this weekend I am going to bowhunt them around my traps this weekend. I've been baiting a place for the last week that they pass on their way out of the meadow around daybreak. I've bought a new Hoyt SuperHawk this year that I have yet to shed blood with, so hoping for my first kill with it.

crappieslayer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck Sniper on the hunt!

I,m going hog hunting when it cools down again,probably next weekend,might do some bear scouting and try to decide if it's worth paying $100.00 for a bear tag this year.

roos7a..you do much hunting around Rattan? My lease is off Cloudy Rd. about 4 miles South of Cloudy store.

Latest posts

Top Bottom