Wildlife Dept. is gouging us now

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.J.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wound up going to walmart, buying my $10 trout stamp, then stopped by Macdonald's for lunch before I left and had 2 hamburgers (95 cents each) and a small coke for a total of $3.01. Last year I got my trout stamp there, and when the salesman asked if I wanted anything else on it I made the mistake of having him put my HIP permit on it too...and got stiffed for the $3 anyway. BTW...I paid $150 for my lifetime hunting license. Didn't buy the combination cause the trout stamp wasn't covered. I realized later that even if you go fishing just once you still have to buy an annual fishing license, so I went ahead and bought a lifetime fishing license for $125. Yes, a $10 trout stamp IS a bargain...as long as you don't have to drive 100 miles one way to trout fish. My son and I are going to Pawhuska this weekend and try our luck.

mr.theman

Marksman
Reaction score
Without giving a financial siminar on the time value of money, it is not economically sound business to pay for a lifetime license. More convenient by a mile, but all other factors would advise one against paying up front.

I am still waiting to hear the logic behind this statement. I figure mine has paid for itself roughly 6 times over in the last 18yrs.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Folks you don't have to buy your license/stamps at Wal Mart if you don't want to purchase online. Many bait shops are vendors as well. They still have the books of the water resistant paper and fill out with a ball point pen. Duck stamp, avoid Wal Mart go to the post office.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am still waiting to hear the logic behind this statement. I figure mine has paid for itself roughly 6 times over in the last 18yrs.

If you're like a lot of hunters here, you're doing archery deer, muzzleloader deer, gun deer, both turkey seasons, and waterfowl. That's $160 a year, maybe more.

What are lifetime licenses, $775 now? Doesn't take like for a $775 lifetime license to pay for itself. Especially with the free controlled hunt draws.

If you're like the guy who said it's not worth it and all you do is small game.... probably not worth it to buy the lifetime license.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call me nuts but I just head down to the Dept. of Wildlife headquarters every Jan.(without my hunter safety card) and buy my combo license plus, trout stamp, 2 deer tags, 2 turkey tags and fur bearer license in one shot. Pay out of my nose and get to look at what taxidermy looked like in the 60's. Would I be better off spending the money for a lifetime license? Probably. I do however get a little twinge of righteous indignation knowing that I helped support the only self supporting gov't agency that I know of. Oh, the women are always at the headquarters and don't waste my time.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
J.T. sort of beat me to it. But ODWC gets no money from the state coffers. It all comes from licenses/fees/etc. They are self sustaining. That's one of the reasons I haven't bought a lifetime yet and probably won't.

Latest posts

Top Bottom