SW OK/Lawton General Power Outage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some folks just don’t know how things work. We’ve had three different families over the past couple of years move in next door and the property management company never explains nor do they understand how their aerobic septic system works. I hand’m a couple of tablets and run through it with them. If no one ever explained to them to pull the red handle???

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
His post said:

“So far, I've had three patients that "couldn't get their car out of the garage”.”
Right. And you adequately addressed that with your pull string comment.

And he also said this, which is the part I was referring to:

Now, that being said...a lot of people use their garage door and opener to go in and out of the house.
I'm guilty of that.
When an unexpected power outage hits, it is important to have the front door keys available!!!!
Again, I've been guilty of that!!!
Did find an interesting work around.
Lowe's has this key kiosk called the "Minute Key" where you cut your own keys.
Door keys only it seems.
But...
One of the options is to cut a "virtual key"
So, once you cut your key, you can save the virtual key file and cut another key at another date without having a physical key!!
Don't know how networked the system is, but...
And some folks will say if the power is out at the house, it will be out at the store, but not always.
Anyway, interesting fall back option.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our garage door opener has a battery backup, but still, why couldn’t they pull the release rope and raise it by hand.

Well, two were women who lived alone. One said she didn't know about the rope, the other said that she was afraid if she did, the door would be too heavy for her to lift.

The other said that the last time she and her husband used the rope release, when the power came back on and it re-engaged, something jumped the track and their spring broke.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@ratski so ... Is your power back on now?? Someone over on that other board asked if the prison was affected ... But I'm guessing maybe they had their own generators??

I gotta say I'm a little disconcerted that I didn't even ever see a blurb on any of the stations up here about y'alls issue. That is so weird to me. Thanks!!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Military/DOD personnel were notified yesterday to cut back on electricity usage to reduce the brownouts.
(Let me go plug in my Tesla)

They were saying, "unplug about 10,000 of those coffee pots."

Not this outage, but a concern discovered in another outage.

I get a call around 3am from Mom, she was 85 and middle of the night calls, though not uncommon, were scary.

I awaken to a very dark house and lightning flashes. I grab the phone and Mom says, "the power is off."
Me: "yes, it is, but I can't fix it. It's just lightning, no cellar needed."
Mom laughs, "I know, but I fell asleep in my chair (electric, lift chair), I am reclined, need to go pee and can't get out of this damn chair."
Me, "on my way."

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They were saying, "unplug about 10,000 of those coffee pots."

Not this outage, but a concern discovered in another outage.

I get a call around 3am from Mom, she was 85 and middle of the night calls, though not uncommon, were scary.

I awaken to a very dark house and lightning flashes. I grab the phone and Mom says, "the power is off."
Me: "yes, it is, but I can't fix it. It's just lightning, no cellar needed."
Mom laughs, "I know, but I fell asleep in my chair (electric, lift chair), I am reclined, need to go pee and can't get out of this damn chair."
Me, "on my way."
Amazon Basics Standby UPS 400VA 255W Surge Protector Battery Power Backup, 6 Outlets - Black https://a.co/d/87ql5Rf

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@ratski so ... Is your power back on now?? Someone over on that other board asked if the prison was affected ... But I'm guessing maybe they had their own generators??

I gotta say I'm a little disconcerted that I didn't even ever see a blurb on any of the stations up here about y'alls issue. That is so weird to me. Thanks!!
Yeah, interesting that there was so little news coverage.
And I think that they really UNDERSTATED/UNDERESTIMATED the number of people affected.

Another thing that was "funny" to me is that my little island of homes made it thru unaffected.
There is a small island of about 50 homes in my neighborhood that routinely loose power anytime a mouse passes gas in the backyard.

This time, we were good.

It was funny driving into the neighborhood seeing everyone else without power for a change, but our house was fine.

I think what it was is that my wife has the cell number of someone at PSO that she calls whenever we have an issue.
I'm pretty sure that he looked at the map and said "you guys can cut power to whoever you want during these rolling blackouts, EXCEPT this house here!!! I don't want to have to deal with Belinda if I don't have too!!"

Latest posts

Top Bottom