Wildlife Dept. is gouging us now

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They want you to buy a lifetime as not one dollar from the first license has ever been spent. It is invested and long after your dead, you will still be contributing to the wildlife of Okla. The day you die or move away from the state, you no longer contribute.
Its a great deal for the sportsmen and sportswomen of this state.

I had no idea this was the case, leave it up to OSA and dennishoddy to bring the knowledge!

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should have just kept my mouth shut.

short lesson - detailed link at the bottom. the Rule of 7 says a good investment will double every seven years. 750 today actually costs 1500 7 years down the road. averaged out at 215 per year, no one spends that on tags. Take into account death, injury, financial hardship, etc. all the way down to moving somewhere that hunting in Oklahoma was no longer convenient adds up to poor investment. If you get down to dirt-floor poor, that hunting license isn't worth the paper it's written on.
examples-If you had $30,000 invested and easily available, it does not make sense to take that money and buy a new truck if you can get financed for 4%. And a new truck has resale value if you needed the money for something else.
The same principal goes for paying in advance for your cable bill, there is no benefit. you don't get any interest, you are no longer liquid, and the money is non-transferable. No one here is willing to pay in advance for cable, and both things are a luxury.

That said, 750 is not a large enough amount to make an investment that would draw 10% interest. Doesn't change the principal, the math is sound. Gotta have little piles of money to make big piles of money.
Having a Lifetime is a great luxury. I wish someone would bought me one when I was a kid, and I plan on buying my son one. doesn't change the fact that it's not smart money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_interest

I'm no Wall street financial adviser, this is basic finance. Starting to shed some light on why the biggest financial institutions are in ruin. If real life, work for a livin', down to earth Okies struggle with money value, no way east and west coast city folks understand it. That's a compliment, before anyone gets their panties in a twist.

I don't type this much at work. I'll remember to bit my tongue next time! I'm out, no more on this thread for me.

I am pretty certain, based on the above comment that ol tjones96761 works for the government or in politics. That is about the only way I could twist that around and see where he is coming from. Pretty sure we all agree that a lifetime license is a wise investment, but how he puts it, it does not sound like a good thing. Common sense tells me it is, regardless of what someone puts on paper.

"Blah blah blah, Rule 7 blah blah blah investment blah blah interest blah blah blah, carry the 2, subtract the remainder... blah blah..."

mr.theman

Marksman
Reaction score
tjones thanks for responding and explaining your reasoning. I think a lot of it depends on how you look at your own personal finances. Some people look at the initial investment as "how much can I MAKE off of this money in X amount of years" and other people look at it as "how much money will this SAVE me in X amount of years" I personally have a tendency to look at the savings aspect.

If you get down to dirt-floor poor, that hunting license isn't worth the paper it's written on.
I do greatly disagree with this statement. I have been "dirt-floor poor" and this worthless piece of paper made the difference in putting meat on the table legally and poaching to feed the kids. Poaching could have lead to me being locked up plus the legal cost and then where would my family be.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
offered to buy a lifetime combo license for my boy, if he would show some interest in hunting. he's only come deer hunting with me a few times and has shown no further interest.

by the time he does get interested in hunting, which he will.
a lifetime license with inflation will be no telling how much.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
offered to buy a lifetime combo license for my boy, if he would show some interest in hunting. he's only come deer hunting with me a few times and has shown no further interest.

by the time he does get interested in hunting, which he will.
a lifetime license with inflation will be no telling how much.

put that money in some stock... let him use it to buy a lifetime license later?

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
wHAT PISSED ME OFF IS THE BEAR TAG. It cost 100.00 even if you have a lifetime

If you have a lifetime, you didn't purchase it with an agreement that all future fees will be included. That $100 a tag is compensating the years of research it took to get the season started and what is going to fund the efforts of the research data taken from every legally harvested bear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom