Winchester Silvertips...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody remember these?

[Broken External Image]

Or better yet...does anybody still USE these? :respect:

Back in the hey-days of law enforcement, the Winchester Silvertip was THE ammo amongst cops. Everybody used them. Mostly, we all carried a .38 Special or a .357 Magnum, but occasionally, usually the OHP Troopers, carried something bigger...like the .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum and every now and then, you would see a Smith & Wesson model 25 in .45LC.

But the one common denominator amongst us, was the Winchester Silvertip. No matter what caliber, we all used the Silvertips for our carry ammo. They looked good in a 12 round loop and they were the perfect weight at 145 grains. Of course, we didn't know about hotter ammo beating up our revolvers, but we knew that it was easier to qualify with .38 Specials than it was with full-house Magnums. ;)

Then, we started discovering rounds like the Federal Hydra-Shok and the baddest of bad boys, the Winchester Black Talon. I also remember totin' PMC Starfires for a bit.

Does anybody carry the Winchester Silvertips in their sixguns anymore? Is there any place local that I can pick up a box or two? Or do I hafta special order some?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember those. But I was always partial to the old school Federal 125 grain JHP's though. The one's they made back in the '80's. The fireball was awesome! Didn't have to worry about them beating up my L-frame. :thumb: Man I miss those days...

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Atta boy! :thumb:

Where do you get yours?

I've got two boxes (less 6 rounds out of one of them, to make sure point of impact was 'there') that I bought in the early '80's. I'm sure they would do the 'job' they were intended to do , should the need arise! (always been kept in climate controlled atmosphere) Don't see any reason to buy anything more 'high tech' than what I already have that 'N' frame loaded with.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have searched various companies all day long and I can't find a Silvertip ANYWHERE! :scream:

I'll probably wind up going with either the 158gr Speer Gold Dot or maybe the 158gr Hornady XTP instead. They both seem like good rounds. They are also about the same price. Speer's come in a box of 20 - Hornady is in a box of 25.

We'll see. ;)

huskres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to jack the thread but its probably just as hard to find .32auto Winchester Silvertips for my Seecamp. Larry Seecamp built the guns around the Silvertip so that has to say something about the ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom