Woman dies on the Texas Giant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just found this out. I won't be riding any roller coasters anytime soon. Man that is such a bad thing. My sister and my niece were just there a few days ago. And they rode that ride. Pretty scary. Still hard to believe this happened.

A woman fell to her death from the Texas Giant rollercoaster Friday night at Six Flags Over Texas as horrified fellow passengers watched.

The Arlington amusement park confirmed the death but released few details beyond reporting that its medical staff and city paramedics had responded immediately. The victim’s name was not released.

Six Flags officials offered their condolences to the woman’s family as investigators began to study the cause of the accident, which occurred after 6:30 p.m. Although the ride was closed, the park remained open through the evening.

Early attention was beginning to focus on witnesses’ reports that the woman’s safety restraint may have come undone.

Carmen Brown of Arlington was waiting in line as the victim was being secured in for the ride. She said she believed that the woman’s son was on the ride with her.

Brown said the woman had expressed concern to a park employee that she was not secured correctly in her seat.

“He was basically nonchalant,” Brown said. “He was, like, ‘As long as you heard it click, you’re fine.’ Hers was the only one that went down once, and she didn’t feel safe. But they let her still get on the ride.”

She said the victim fell out of the ride as it made a sudden maneuver.

“The lady basically tumbled over,” she said. “We heard her screaming. We were, like, ‘Did she just fall?’”

Investigators were interviewing witnesses on the ride, some of whom reported that the woman had been thrown from the rollercoaster as it rounded a turn. Arlington police declined to comment on the accident.

Hysterical passengers had to wait to disembark as the train stopped short of the platform.

John and Darlene Putman of Rockwall said they were in line to board the rollercoaster as the train in which the woman had been riding returned.

John Putman told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that he heard two people screaming, “‘My mom! My mom! Let us out, we need to go get her!’”

Reports from park visitors began spreading rapidly on social media online, drawing worried parents and others to the gates to check on family members.

Joshua Paul Fleak posted on Twitter that he believed that the woman’s restraint had come undone.

“Just witnessed someone fly off of the Texas giant two seats in front of me,” he said. “… Coaster turned and she was gone.”

The Texas Giant opened in 1990 as the world’s tallest wooden rollercoaster but was closed in November 2009 to convert it to a steel-and-wood hybrid.

Although the rebuilt ride incorporates some of the original structure, it includes 4,700 feet of new track.

When it reopened in April 2011, the expanded coaster offered a smoother ride and a higher top speed of 65 mph. It features a 79-degree drop and three turns sharper than 90 degrees.

Friday’s accident was the second ride fatality for a guest at the park since it opened in 1961.

In 1999, Valeria Cartwright of West Helena, Ark., drowned when a Roaring Rapids raft capsized. Ten other people were injured in that accident.

In March 2006, passengers on the park’s Texas Tornado ride reported injuries when the ride slowed rapidly and several of its swings collided.

In another amusement park accident Friday, a boat on a thrill ride at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio, rolled backward down a hill and flipped over in water when the ride malfunctioned, injuring all seven people on it.

Six Flags Entertainment Corp. emerged from bankruptcy protection in 2010 after the company said it needed to shed $1.8 billion in debt. In April, the company posted record revenue.

Staff writer Robert Wilonsky contributed to this report.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's unfortunate but you are more likely to die in a car accident getting to the park than while in it.

But this is a simple lesson, if you don't think it's safe don't continue on a ride.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not always an option. Once the ride starts, you are along for the ride. If a problem develops on the climb, you are stuck.

If it hasnt started yet, they can certainly let you off. I have seen it many times either for safety concerns or people "chickening" out.

If I don't feel safe I sure wouldnt go through with it.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^ +100000000000

1. the parks depend on teenage, summer, temp labor. Most are nonchalant and or just immature.
2. DEMAND to be secured or let off, if you don't feel safe. scream, yell, whatever it takes. draw enough attention to be satisfied.
3. 2 deaths in 52 years. Yes those things are death traps. The drive to Dallas for the ride = MUCH BETTER. see #2

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never been a big fan of roller coasters. One of my docs told me that I'd risk being paralyzed if I was stupid enough to get on one now ... same thing with bumper cars or anything that could make me snap my neck hard (or not so hard even) ... Fine with me. Now I have a "real" reason for not wanting to waste my money on stuff like that ... :)

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what i've heard it was a bigger lady, don't think I would be riding any coasters if I couldn't get the restraints to lock on my fat body. Hopefully they will get the ride back open quickly, I was looking forward to riding the "new" Texas Giant, especially after experiencing Outlaw Run at Silver Dollar City earlier this year.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would imagine it was a larger person. She should have been bumped if it didn't lock properly. I have a few more inches to loose before I go back to get on a roller coaster for that reason.

And theme parks are not for everyone. . . my wife doesn't see the point either, I have been on rides in five different states so far. But I am sure there are things others enjoy doing that I do not see the point in. If you ever thought about driving a car as fast as it can go on a race track or flying in a fighter jet then a roller coaster is probably the closest you can get to it without having a whole lot of money and taking the risks involved with either. To each their own have fun in your own way I won't knock yours if you don't knock mine, makes for a happier world.

Latest posts

Top Bottom