Wounded Warrior Project - haven't seen much discussion of this

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to hear stories of waste and fraud in charity work almost as much as in .gov. Or more. What do you guys think? Anyone here have any direct experience with them? Trying to present some info from both sides here, in the hopes someone here knows more about the foundation. I despise the Red Cross, hoping WWP isn't in the same boat, although the PR nightmare with the church donations a couple years back really made me skeptical.

Wounded Warrior Project Spends Lavishly on Itself, Insiders Say

"JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - In 2014, after 10 years of rapid growth, the Wounded Warrior Project flew its roughly 500 employees to Colorado Springs for an “all hands” meeting at the five-star Broadmoor hotel.

They were celebrating their biggest year yet: $225 million raised and a work force that had nearly doubled. On the opening night, before three days of strategy sessions and team-building field trips, the staff gathered in the hotel courtyard. Suddenly, a spotlight focused on a 10-story bell tower where the chief executive, Steven Nardizzi, stepped off the edge and rappelled toward the cheering crowd."

Wounded Warrior Project on Charity Navigator's watch list

"In another response to the on-going CBS News investigation of Wounded Warrior Project, Charity Navigator, a national evaluator of charities, put the country's most prominent veterans charity on its watch list."

Even Military Times is looking into it:

Report: Wounded Warrior Project overspends on its staff, ex-employees say

The Wounded Warrior Project, a national nonprofit organization that supports service members wounded in the line of duty, has been accused of blowing millions of dollars in donation money on spoils for its staff, according to a new two-part CBS News investigation.

The CBS investigation was reportedly inspired by Charity Navigator, a nonprofit organization that promotes fiscal transparency among charities. Its scrutiny of public records found that WWP spent 60 percent of its donations on veterans, the remainder of which the CBS News team set out to account for.

" A June report by The Daily Beast criticized Nardizzi, saying he pays his executives too much.

'Nardizzi is an advisory board member of the Charity Defense Council, an outfit with lofty ambitions,' The Daily Beast's Tim Mak wrote. 'The organization wants to remake the entire charitable sector to be more permissive of high overhead and high executive compensation, explicitly citing as its model the oil industry’s efforts to rehabilitate its public image.' "

WWP Response:

January 27, 2016
Al Ortiz, Executive Director
CBS Network
51 W. 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019
Via email: [email protected]
Re: CBS Stories re: Wounded Warrior Project, Inc.
Dear Mr. Ortiz,
This is a follow up to the original letter Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) sent to you on January 25, 2016 regarding our concerns about a story that CBS intended to run regarding WWP. We are outraged to see that CBS chose to run the story despite our ongoing efforts to set the record straight.

We can only deduce that CBS willfully set aside the information WWP provided in favor of the false statements made by a handful of former, disgruntled employees. At a minimum, prior to running the story, CBS could have contacted one of its own senior executives, Richard M. Jones, CBS Executive Vice President, General Tax Counsel, and Chief Veteran Officer, by calling him at extension 2978. You are fully aware that Mr. Jones is a WWP Board Member and WWP’s Audit Committee Chair and has the ability and insight to provide you with accurate and truthful information regarding WWP’s financial documents.

Therefore, the purpose of this letter is to notify you of the false statements contained in the news stories about WWP that aired on CBS Evening News on January 26, 2016, and on the CBS Morning Show on January 27, 2016.

1. FALSE STATEMENT BY CBS: WWP spends 60% on veterans.
TRUTH: Based on our most recent independently audited financial statements, 80.6% of total expenditures went to provide programs and services for wounded service members, their caregivers, and families. As stated above, WWP’s Board Member and Audit Committee Chair, Richard M. Jones, CBS Executive Vice President, General Tax Counsel, and Chief Veteran Officer, reviews and approves all of WWP’s financial documents and audits.

2. FALSE STATEMENT BY CBS: WWP spends $26,054,363 on conferences and meetings for staff.
TRUTH: CBS falsely reported our conference and meeting expenses. 94% of the figure CBS reported as conference and meetings for staff was actually a program expense for warriors and their families to participate in services such as mental health programming.

3. FALSE STATEMENT BY CBS: WWP spent $3 million on an annual training conference that was nothing more than a lavish party.
TRUTH: Budget figures reported by CBS for the annual training are absurd and patently false.
The annual training conference costs an average of $1,500 per person, which includes all expenses for travel, meals, accommodations, and materials for four days. During WWP’s annual training session, WWP conducts strategic planning and program development to ensure we are operating effectively as an organization. No alcohol is purchased by the organization at the training.

4. FALSE STATEMENT AS AIRED BY CBS: “We don’t call warriors. Warriors call us.”
TRUTH: Warriors and caregivers are continuously contacted by WWP via multiple channels including in-person, weekly emails, and regular phone calls. In addition to these regular communications, in 2015, WWP staff members conducted 76,942 documented, outbound wellness checks and outreach calls to warriors and caregivers. We demand that CBS immediately correct the record, issue a retraction of the false statements, and issue an apology to the public and the tens of thousands of wounded veterans and their families who have been offended by these false statements. We expect your prompt attention to this urgent matter.

Sincerely,
Ayla Tezel
Executive Vice President, Communications

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it's been around. Kind of turned my attention to other organizations, but I think they still do good work.

Thomas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which ones? It seems like at most churches only ~5% of offerings go to charity.

Our church makes it easy to find needs and the accountability is great. While each of us wise to closely scrutinize giving opportunities, none of us are in full control of how gifts are used. If we're discerning and generous, good will ultimately be done.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://m.facebook.com/notes/gun-talk/wounded-warrior-project-email-exchange/10151354082553313

And the content...

November 13, 2012 at 4:56pm ·
Wounded Warrior Project Email Exchange
After Sunday's show, we've gotten many emails about Tom's remarks after WWP declined an interview request on Gun Talk Radio because it's a firearms-related show. We've also seen the forums that are suggesting many things that are not true. So, I'm going to lay it all out right here.
We thought it would be great to book the WWP on the Veteran's Day show to promote the organization, so I contacted them. I was flabbergasted when their PR contact, Leslie, sent me an email saying they could not participate because our show dealt with firearms. Knowing that WWP has had a booth at trade shows and various gun shows across the US, takes wounded warriors on hunts and range days, raffles guns and accessories as fundraisers, etc., their policy didn't make much sense. I forwarded the email on to Tom to get his take.
-Sarah

The following is the complete email exchange:
====================
Hello, Leslie:
Sarah forwarded me your email after I asked her to invite the Wounded Warriors Project to join me on "Tom Gresham's Gun Talk" radio show.

I'm stunned at your email saying that the WWP doesn't participate in an interview or activity related to firearms. Inasmuch as there are 90 million gun owners and most of them support wounded veterans, I think they would be shocked to hear that they are, by way of their hobbies, somehow not worthy of helping with the Wounded Warriors Project.

Does your policy apply also to police agencies and the military, since they are "related to firearms?"

I'm hoping that we have misunderstood your email. Can you confirm that it is, in fact, an official policy of the Wounded Warriors Project to not do interviews with or participate in any activity related to firearms?

Thank you.
Tom Gresham

============

Good afternoon --

While we appreciate your interest in Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) you are correct that we decline the media opportunity.

Please note the following notice that appears on our website which also applies to WWP public awareness policy and inquiries from media outlets:
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/additional-opportunities.aspx

WWP does not co-brand, create cause marketing campaigns or receive a percentage or a portion of proceeds from companies in which the product or message is sexual, political or religious in nature, or from alcohol or firearms companies.

Thank you for your inquiry.

LESLIE A. COLEMAN
public relations director

O: 904.405.1433
M: 904.654.8138
F: 904.296.7347

Wounded Warrior Project
4899 Belfort Road, Suite 300
Jacksonville, Florida 32256

====================
Thanks for confirming that, Leslie. It was a simple opportunity to promote the WWP on a national program in an effort to send donations your way.
I'll pass along the info that you don't want or need the help of America's gun owners.

Best regards,
Tom Gresham

=====================

Good morning --
This policy is not a judgment on those who own and use firearms – clearly every member of our armed forces has been trained in the use of firearms and then called on to use them in the course of their service to this country.

Our position regarding firearms and alcohol is in response to the struggles that many injured service members face with substance abuse and suicide and the roles those items often play in those issues.

Thank you.
LESLIE A. COLEMAN

=============================

Hello, Leslie:

Thank you for that explanation.

I do think -- and I'm being as kind as possible -- that it's the nuttiest thing I've heard in years. Suicides are not linked to firearms. Japan has a much higher rate of suicide than does the U.S., and they have essentially no firearms. Suicide is a serious issue irrespective of the methodology used.

This explanation doesn't pass even the most simple "does this make sense" test.

Your policy does, in fact, brand firearms and the companies which make them as undesirables, and by association, you are saying that those who own and use firearms for recreation, hunting, self protection, and other safe and legal uses are to be avoided.

It's certainly your option to ostracize the firearms industry, the 90 million gun owners in America, and the media which support firearms safety training.

At this point, I feel an obligation to make sure the millions who listen to my radio show and watch my two national television series know about your policy.

I cannot fully express how much I feel you are doing a disservice to our wounded veterans, and how disappointed I am to discover this bias at the Wounded Warriors Project.

Sincerely,
Tom Gresham

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://m.facebook.com/notes/gun-talk/wounded-warrior-project-email-exchange/10151354082553313

And the content...

November 13, 2012 at 4:56pm ·
Wounded Warrior Project Email Exchange
After Sunday's show, we've gotten many emails about Tom's remarks after WWP declined an interview request on Gun Talk Radio because it's a firearms-related show. We've also seen the forums that are suggesting many things that are not true. So, I'm going to lay it all out right here.
We thought it would be great to book the WWP on the Veteran's Day show to promote the organization, so I contacted them. I was flabbergasted when their PR contact, Leslie, sent me an email saying they could not participate because our show dealt with firearms. Knowing that WWP has had a booth at trade shows and various gun shows across the US, takes wounded warriors on hunts and range days, raffles guns and accessories as fundraisers, etc., their policy didn't make much sense. I forwarded the email on to Tom to get his take.
-Sarah

The following is the complete email exchange:
====================
Hello, Leslie:
Sarah forwarded me your email after I asked her to invite the Wounded Warriors Project to join me on "Tom Gresham's Gun Talk" radio show.

I'm stunned at your email saying that the WWP doesn't participate in an interview or activity related to firearms. Inasmuch as there are 90 million gun owners and most of them support wounded veterans, I think they would be shocked to hear that they are, by way of their hobbies, somehow not worthy of helping with the Wounded Warriors Project.

Does your policy apply also to police agencies and the military, since they are "related to firearms?"

I'm hoping that we have misunderstood your email. Can you confirm that it is, in fact, an official policy of the Wounded Warriors Project to not do interviews with or participate in any activity related to firearms?

Thank you.
Tom Gresham

============

Good afternoon --

While we appreciate your interest in Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) you are correct that we decline the media opportunity.

Please note the following notice that appears on our website which also applies to WWP public awareness policy and inquiries from media outlets:
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/additional-opportunities.aspx

WWP does not co-brand, create cause marketing campaigns or receive a percentage or a portion of proceeds from companies in which the product or message is sexual, political or religious in nature, or from alcohol or firearms companies.

Thank you for your inquiry.

LESLIE A. COLEMAN

O: 904.405.1433
M: 904.654.8138
F: 904.296.7347

Wounded Warrior Project
4899 Belfort Road, Suite 300
Jacksonville, Florida 32256

====================
Thanks for confirming that, Leslie. It was a simple opportunity to promote the WWP on a national program in an effort to send donations your way.
I'll pass along the info that you don't want or need the help of America's gun owners.

Best regards,
Tom Gresham

=====================

Good morning --
This policy is not a judgment on those who own and use firearms – clearly every member of our armed forces has been trained in the use of firearms and then called on to use them in the course of their service to this country.

Our position regarding firearms and alcohol is in response to the struggles that many injured service members face with substance abuse and suicide and the roles those items often play in those issues.

Thank you.
LESLIE A. COLEMAN

=============================

Hello, Leslie:

Thank you for that explanation.

I do think -- and I'm being as kind as possible -- that it's the nuttiest thing I've heard in years. Suicides are not linked to firearms. Japan has a much higher rate of suicide than does the U.S., and they have essentially no firearms. Suicide is a serious issue irrespective of the methodology used.

This explanation doesn't pass even the most simple "does this make sense" test.

Your policy does, in fact, brand firearms and the companies which make them as undesirables, and by association, you are saying that those who own and use firearms for recreation, hunting, self protection, and other safe and legal uses are to be avoided.

It's certainly your option to ostracize the firearms industry, the 90 million gun owners in America, and the media which support firearms safety training.

At this point, I feel an obligation to make sure the millions who listen to my radio show and watch my two national television series know about your policy.

I cannot fully express how much I feel you are doing a disservice to our wounded veterans, and how disappointed I am to discover this bias at the Wounded Warriors Project.

Sincerely,
Tom Gresham

Sad to hear they won't even consider taking contributions from gun owners. Like GTG said earlier, we discussed them several years ago. It appears nothing has changed in their organization from the bad publicity.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They like to straddle the fence and say they're not anti-gun, but they absolutely want nothing to do with gun-centric groups doing fundraisers. They'd probably take donations from strippers before a gun group, at least publicly. Regardless, there are a great many veterans groups that have a higher ROI in helping vets than WWP. I see no reason to give to them, when the others get more cents on the dollar to the vets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom