Electric Smoker for the Holidays??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All,

It's getting closer to the holidays and I've got a question to ask the OSA readers.

What is a good-(best one YOU have or have used) electric, yes electric smoker to buy?

I'm getting to the age of CONVENIENCE!! No more all-night smoking/cooking, no more watching the temp/heat all day or night.

***I don't want a debate on gas-vs-charcoal-vs-electric!!!!!

What I'd like or am looking for: A smoker that is electric, has an adjustable temperature to smoke and cook at the same time, AND is reliable!!

Reliable: I've read several articles on electric smokers that after the 3rd to 4th time of use, the heating element goes out. The temperature doesn't get hot enough.....blah,blah,blah.

IS there an electric smoker out there pretty much "trouble" free and will do the job?.....smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving and cooking/smoking meat throughout the year?

I've been looking at a Cajun Injector Electric Smoker....any pros-or-cons??
[Broken External Image]

Thanks for the help and suggestions!!
Cohiba

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a pork shoulder in the electric smoker right now.

Three little kids, full time job, and a wife that works full time and goes to school....I'm all about convenience!

I use the Masterbuilt electric smoke house (my bride got it from Bass Pro last year). Has a timer, temp setting, meat probe, inside light etc. Keeps a consistent temp and produces good smoke.

I've used it regularly since last December with no trouble.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...0202045_175003000_175000000_175003000_175-3-0

Eddie005

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just got a cookshack 3 weeks ago. I absolutely love it. Great pulled pork, best loin back ribs I have ever eaten and it all so simple and easy. They cost a little more but they are worth it. Checkout out the cookshack forum, there is hours worth of reading there.

m.rehme

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using a Cabela's electric smoker since last Thanksgiving.
I use a small cast iron pan in place of the wood chip pan they provide, put in 20-22 charcoal briquets when burning good put in the wood chips and let it do it's thing. When the charcoal dies down the electric kicks in and finishes up the job. I use a Oregon Scientific remote temperature to let me know when it is done.
That whole set up cost me just over $200.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't be lured by a cheap setup, you will buy 1 Cook Shack smoker in your life, unless you decide to buy a bigger one.... :)

I don't have to mess around with different plates, charcoal, or anything else.

You load the wood box with 3 or 4 chucks of the wood of your choice, set the temp you want and go away until it is time to start checking the temp for what you are cooking.

Previous threads on smokers that have Cook Shack references. I have NEVER heard anyone give a negative on their smokers.

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2654447

Tin Star Firearms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used an electric smoker from Old Smokey products out of Houston, TX for about five years. It was $100 at that time and we got it mail order. Uses an element with a metal chip plate and has an adjustable thermostat. I just didn't want to give up the money for the Cookshack which looks pretty nice.

I can put load the chip plate, put in a brisket and walk away. It gives good flavor and even heat distribution.

Andrew

Latest posts

Top Bottom