Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is an empty keg worth anything?

I know some scrap metal prices are up, is it worth a trip to the recyclers to drop off a couple old kegs?

Default Re: Is an empty keg worth anything?

Are they aluminum or stainless?
    “...reality is always plural and mutable.”
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

Hoplophobia

My feedback

Must be aluminum - a magnet would stick to stainless right?

The labels from the place that they came from are still on top - don't you have to pay a deposit on these things? I wonder if I take them back if I can get the deposit? I don't know how that works - I'm not a drinker.

How did you acquire kegs and how many of them? We use them for workouts and they aren't easy to come by.

In Tulsa the deposit is about $40 each. I would take them back to the place on the label. (Or at least call them.)

Most scrap yards won't take them because people steal them. I bought the last one I got for $9.

If you want to sell it, PM me and maybe we can work something out.
    My Feedback Thread
    Class 3 Designs, LLC (07 FFL/02 SOT)
    WTS: Barrel Threading Services
    WTS: Silencers
    PMs disabled, email me instead so I don't have to delete our messages every 2 weeks. info@class3REMOVEdesigns.com. Be sure to take out the REMOVE.

With a little work, one can make a really nice portable BBQ grill out of one for tailgating.
    I'm not biased

Quote Originally Posted by JB Books View Post
    DennisShoddy is the 12th Imam
    Common sense is not a Gift....
    Its a punishment, because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by XD-9Guy View Post

The labels from the place that they came from are still on top - don't you have to pay a deposit on these things? I wonder if I take them back if I can get the deposit? I don't know how that works - I'm not a drinker.
    They probably won't give you a deposit back if you don't have a receipt. There are a bunch of ways you can reuse old kegs. So, I would say let someone here get them rather than scrap them.
    “...reality is always plural and mutable.”
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

Hoplophobia

My feedback

Quote Originally Posted by B96brig4CC View Post
    How did you acquire kegs and how many of them? We use them for workouts and they aren't easy to come by.
    Just 2 of them, some neighbors threw them out when they cleaned out their garage – speaking of work outs… there's a weight bench over there too that looks like it's pretty sturdy built and in usable condition if anyone is looking for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    In Tulsa the deposit is about $40 each. I would take them back to the place on the label. (Or at least call them.)
    Sweet - that'd be great. I'm calling them tomorrow. That's probably the right thing to do anyway - I have been doing some internet research on them and apparently they can cost the retailers 100-150 bucks to replace. So they may want them back and if there's a $40 deposit on them I will gladly drive them on over.

Quote Originally Posted by dustingaunder View Post
    Most scrap yards won't take them because people steal them. I bought the last one I got for $9.
    If you want to sell it, PM me and maybe we can work something out.
    I'm going to call the place they came from and if they aren't interested I'll post em up in the classifieds -I'll be sure to PM you and B96Brig first.

Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    With a little work, one can make a really nice portable BBQ grill out of one for tailgating.
    Sounds like it'd be cool looking but I just picked them up because I thought I might turn a buck on them. I don't want to have to do work - LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sol.torluemke View Post
    They probably won't give you a deposit back if you don't have a receipt. There are a bunch of ways you can reuse old kegs. So, I would say let someone here get them rather than scrap them.
    That sucks, I'll ask them if a receipt is necessary when I call tomorrow.

Put beer in it.

Quote Originally Posted by XD-9Guy View Post
    There are both magnetic and non-magnetic stainless steels. Theres a large range of stainless steels and refers to those with like 11% chromium properties or somewhere thereabouts that gives its stainless properties. The most common stainless steels have nickel added and that gives it its non-magnetic properties.

That'd be a mistake - there's already a little splashing around in the bottom of each of them and if the labels are accurate it has been in there since last year. These things will need a good cleaning before they can be used.

If it's full of tannerite and you have the range & rifle to shoot it, it would have an awesome value!

Even with labels any beer seller will take them in for deposit on full kegs.
    they have value, if you think not just look on ebay.
    918-261-7917

If I don't answer my phone the cancer may have won.