Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problems with DPMS LR-308 accuracy

Has anyone had problems getting consistant groups with there LR-308's? I have a LR-308 classic with 20" fluted barrel and JP trigger with Super Sniper scope and the best group I have gotten is about 2.5 inches at 100 yards, but most are a lot more. I have put about 150 rounds down the pipe. I have remounted my scope and still the same. I used to think I was a pretty good shot. I have only recently started paying attention to shot groups on paper, but I have shot minute of deer out to 300+ yards multiple times with bolt guns. As soon as one of my shooting buddys and can get the same day off I am going to let him shoot it and see if it is just me or the gun.

Any ideas??

jb

Default Re: Problems with DPMS LR-308 accuracy

Wow, I hear most shot sub-MOA. I've only shot two, personaly. One was a stock out-of-the-box 16" carbine with a Wal-Mart ~$50 scope. The other was a 24" "sniper" setup with Magpul PRS stock, palm rest, bipod, rear monopod, etc. Both could hit golfball sized rocks at 100 yds with surplus de-linked machine gun ammo . . . . and I was only a sharpshooter!

Jpt
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by dochawg View Post
    Has anyone had problems getting consistant groups with there LR-308's? I have a LR-308 classic with 20" fluted barrel and JP trigger with Super Sniper scope and the best group I have gotten is about 2.5 inches at 100 yards, but most are a lot more. I have put about 150 rounds down the pipe. I have remounted my scope and still the same. I used to think I was a pretty good shot. I have only recently started paying attention to shot groups on paper, but I have shot minute of deer out to 300+ yards multiple times with bolt guns. As soon as one of my shooting buddys and can get the same day off I am going to let him shoot it and see if it is just me or the gun.

Any ideas??

jb
    What ammo are you using? How are you shooting it (from a bench, prone, standing, kneeling, etc...).

There are a lot of proper things that you're supposed to do when shooting a rifle that most folks don't do (myself was included until someone told me I was doing them wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by ez bake View Post
    What ammo are you using? How are you shooting it (from a bench, prone, standing, kneeling, etc...).

There are a lot of proper things that you're supposed to do when shooting a rifle that most folks don't do (myself was included until someone told me I was doing them wrong).
    Well lets see first we start off with a bipod off a picnic table and then we went to lead sled from picnic table and finally prone with bipod and bean bag. The first 100 rounds were prvi partizan and the next 50 or so were hand loads.

jb

Have you inspected the crown of the barrel?
    I buy things I don't need to impress people I don't know

"For the record, I'm against the entire office of Presidency at this point and would love to see both of these idiots put through the hunger games" --ez bake

My Feedback

Man, I hope it's just some weird thing. That's my next buy. I want a 16". Been looking at the duro-coated Remington AR10, and the LR. Can't make up my mind.

Well lets see first we start off with a bipod off a picnic table and then we went to lead sled from picnic table and finally prone with bipod and bean bag. The first 100 rounds were prvi partizan and the next 50 or so were hand loads.

jb
    PRVI makes a lot of ammo - what kind was it and what weight?

Also, the hand-loads (if not developed to your rifle/chamber) might not mean much no matter how well they were made.

I've got a bit of money tied up in my barrel and I found several brands of off the shelf or bulk ammo that my rifle didn't like - and believe me it wasn't the barrel.

Mine is the 'Sportical' model with the 16 in barrel and right outa the box it would get around 1.5 in with SA mil-surp. That's what I 'shot' it in with. Shoot clean, shoot clean, shoot clean... you get the picture. Still have less than 200 rounds but am cleaning after every 5 rounds now. Using some hand loads worked up by a friend now and can say the weapon is more accurate than I am. Here's a pic took with cell phone, not a great pic but you can see my set up.

P.S. That's a white bunny on the stock some kid stuck on there for effect.

If at first you don't suceed RELOAD

My Feedback
    http://www.okshooters.com/showthread...ghlight=pktrkt

Quote Originally Posted by ez bake View Post
    PRVI makes a lot of ammo - what kind was it and what weight?

Also, the hand-loads (if not developed to your rifle/chamber) might not mean much no matter how well they were made.

I've got a bit of money tied up in my barrel and I found several brands of off the shelf or bulk ammo that my rifle didn't like - and believe me it wasn't the barrel.
    It was PRVI 150 gr in the blue box and the handloads were worked from 43 gr of varget to 45 gr with 43.5 gr giving me the 2.5 inch group.

jb

As asked above, have you inspected the crown? Or, maybe you just got a Friday afternoon barrel. It happens. Did the rifle come with a accuracy guarantee?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    As asked above, have you inspected the crown? Or, maybe you just got a Friday afternoon barrel. It happens. Did the rifle come with a accuracy guarantee?

It has the panther flash suppressor on it. I will try to take it off and check it out tommorrow. As far as accuracy gaurantee, I don't know. Do all DPMS's have an accuracy gaurantee?

jb

It has the panther flash suppressor on it. I will try to take it off and check it out tommorrow. As far as accuracy gaurantee, I don't know. Do all DPMS's have an accuracy gaurantee?

jb
    I don't know if they have a specific written guarantee, but I've heard VERY positive things from the very few people who had problems and contacted DPMS about it.
    I buy things I don't need to impress people I don't know

"For the record, I'm against the entire office of Presidency at this point and would love to see both of these idiots put through the hunger games" --ez bake

My Feedback

Mine couldn't any brand of ammo shoot for crap so I replaced the barrel with a Kreiger 18" and now it's a .5 MOA gun with most ammo.

USAF ret.
    Sniper, Rifle, Pistol Team
    NRA LM
    NAHC LM

Feedback: http://www.okshooters.com/showthread...5822-angsniper

Handloads with what bullet? Varget is great stuff but it isn't the cure all for every caliber with every bullet. Have any idea what velocity you were getting? Has the handloader made good ammo in the past?

I'd suggest you go buy a few boxes of quality ammo and try again. I'm not shocked blasting ammo is giving you 2.5" groups.

Does that model have a standard handguard and a heavy as heck trigger? Also perhaps contributing factors.

Good luck
    "It's a very deadly weapon to know what you're doing." William Murderface

My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by technetium-99m View Post
    Handloads with what bullet? Varget is great stuff but it isn't the cure all for every caliber with every bullet. Have any idea what velocity you were getting? Has the handloader made good ammo in the past?

I'd suggest you go buy a few boxes of quality ammo and try again. I'm not shocked blasting ammo is giving you 2.5" groups.

Does that model have a standard handguard and a heavy as heck trigger? Also perhaps contributing factors.

Good luck
    the loads were 150 fmj loaded by me so it might just be the handloader. I really don't have that big of deal with the 2.5" group if it was consistant because that could very easly be the shooter. However the 2.5" group I got was the only group I got. All other groups were minute of broad side of barn. I know I used to be able to shoot. When I took my .243 out to sight in before deer season this year I was getting 1" groups pretty easily.

So I guess I am going to have to get some match ammo and see what that does and go form there.

thanks for the input.

jb