10.3" AR finished

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice. My MK18 with 10.3" DD barrel is very accurate with all kinds of ammo I've ran through it, including 600 rounds of Tula. If the rail were just a bit lighter (as well as easier to remove and install), it would be my favorite AR I've built. Let us know how it shoots for you.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice. My MK18 with 10.3" DD barrel is very accurate with all kinds of ammo I've ran through it, including 600 rounds of Tula. If the rail were just a bit lighter (as well as easier to remove and install), it would be my favorite AR I've built. Let us know how it shoots for you.

Thats interesting, i haven't found a 55 gr load; factory or hand load, that shoots worth a crap in mine.
77 gr SMK hand loads have been the cats ass though.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had good luck with lots of 55 gr, PMC bronze, and XM193. Going to be trying some 50 and 70 gr Barnes TSX soon.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats interesting, i haven't found a 55 gr load; factory or hand load, that shoots worth a crap in mine.
77 gr SMK hand loads have been the cats ass though.

Even though they may be the same barrel, they're not the SAME barrel. I'm not saying its 1 moa, but for what I intend to use it for, its more than acceptable with pretty much every type of ammo I've ran through it.

ImaBBaller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With a 1/7 twist you would expect it to like the heavier bullets (actually length is much more important than weight, and obviously heavier bullets are typically longer). I think the sierra 77gr (with cannelure) is what the .mil uses in their mk262 load from black hills. It pulls double duty as the spr round and one of the favorite loads for the mk18's and cqbr rifles. I'm hoping to work a load up to duplicate the black hills loading, if anybody has any pet loads for the sierra 77's let me know.

I took it out to zero the iron sights and aimpoint at 50 yards last night and it was shooting about 2" groups (@50yds) with federal xm193. Part of that is the rifle/ammo and part was probably on my weak eyes with no magnification.

I can definitely feel the pressure from firing with the brakeout comp. It does seem to mitigate muzzle flip somewhat though. The rifle wants to jump a little to the right, which I assume is probably due to the rifling direction. Overall pretty happy so far.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pet load disclaimer: if you use this without first researching and verifying this is safe to shoot in your gun you are wrong.

Gun: DD mk18, Geissele ssa

Any good brass trimmed to 1.75
21.6 gr H-322
77 gr SMK with or without cannelure
OAL 2.25
Wolf SRM or CCI 450 primers
Light crimp with lee factory crimp die

I have not chronographed this load but it is not as hot as a true mk262 load. It is a more accurate load though. I shot this zero target at 100 yards with an aimpoint h1, 2 moa dot. The group is slightly over 2 inches across. Best for me has been between 1.25 and 1.5 inches with a 4x magnified optic, which is a little less than the size of the dot on that scope. This target is 9 shots.
i1074.photobucket.com_albums_w419_unclemoneybags1_216gr32277smk_zps7f0e9ab5.jpg
[/URL].

The second best,

Same brass, primers,OAL, and crimp
75 gr Privi bthp or Hornady 75 gr bthp
23 gr TAC

This load is hotter but i am not sure of the velocity. The groups for zero at 100 yard were a little larger, but they spread out more than the 77 SMK at 300 yards. Out of 400 rounds, it did rip the rim off of two cases on extraction and there was slight ejector smearing on all of the cases. I suspect a gun with a longer barrel and or gas system would mitigate those problems some what. This target is 9 shots with the h1. With my magnified optic they were slightly better.

i1074.photobucket.com_albums_w419_unclemoneybags1_23tacwolf_zps03d1b004.jpg
[/URL] .

Attachments

• 21.6gr322 77smk.jpg
    21.6gr322 77smk.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom