100yr old barn wood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rename it Reclaimed Barn Wood and do a little poking around on the Internet. It might be worth quite a bit to the right buyer. There are probably places here in Oklahoma that would buy it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
There is a market for it, so stack it up if can till you decide. Used by framest, finishers and taixidermists for scenery and mounts.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend who's a furniture maker here in Tulsa. https://www.facebook.com/ScissortailOutdoorLiving?sid=0.531733846059069 His Etsy shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/ScissortailOutdoor

If you want PM me and I can send you his info. He has a few product lines that he builds and he might be interested in the wood for purchase, he's always looking for cedar and other outdoor tolerant woods.

He also does a lot of custom projects and maybe he could build something for you. He just got done with a custom project for the Hardesty Arts Center in Tulsa.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HMMMM, I have a barn that is close to 100 years old that has succumbed to the ages. I'm interested in selling the wood.

I'll take pics this weekend when I'm hunting there.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you remove it, be sure to protect it if you stack it with spacers. Also, it is important that you number the boards so they can be reunited when they are put to whatever new purpose they will serve.

Be careful to make as few as possible pry marks on it too. A flat pry bar applied from the inside with a block for leverage is a pretty good way to leave the outside unmarked. Take your time. If you can find a good market, the buyer may want to do the removal which would save you some work and possibly increase the value of the wood.

Whoever said "deck material," it would make lousy decking if it is typical barn siding. The stuff is decorative, but not usually very strong.

Patience in finding a buyer will pay off.

<edit> Didn't realize this was such an old theread. Any update?

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should run those planks through a table planer and lay it down as flooring. Did that in my grandmas house when we tore down the original 1912 homestead. Made for some real beauty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom