1968 Z28 Camaro found on a Mountain in Pennsylvania after 43 years.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's JB Coppedge's Z. It's going to be a fabulous beast when he finishes the restoration.
Yes it is. I can not wait to get done with the beast. I am putting a lot of GM over the counter heavy duty parts on it (t.i. distributor, GM Crossram, heavy duty 12 bolt posi. With rear discbrakes, the J56 option) I been talking with one of the engineers that helped with the SCCA Trans AM racing in the late 60' and he is helping me build the 302 Chevy Engine to get the most out of it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes it is. I can not wait to get done with the beast. I am putting a lot of GM over the counter heavy duty parts on it (t.i. distributor, GM Crossram, heavy duty 12 bolt posi. With rear discbrakes, the J56 option) I been talking with one of the engineers that helped with the SCCA Trans AM racing in the late 60' and he is helping me build the 302 Chevy Engine to get the most out of it.
I’m going off the top of my head now, but was it 67 or 68 when the Z-28 came on the market with the 302 emblem on the nose vs the following year the Z-28 emblem was the standard?
We had a guy in HS that had one of those with the 302 emblem. Limited edition? BTW, it ran very fast.

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m going off the top of my head now, but was it 67 or 68 when the Z-28 came on the market with the 302 emblem on the nose vs the following year the Z-28 emblem was the standard?
We had a guy in HS that had one of those with the 302 emblem. Limited edition? BTW, it ran very fast.
In 1967, the Z28 had no badging on them. The only on a 67Z was the racing strips.
In 68, they added the 302 to the fenders (and that is my favorite) then in mid year production for 68, the change to the Z28 emblems. That was March. Not sure if it was the second week or the 3rd week of that month

Now if this car was not so well documented, I will added the 302 emblems and remove the spoiler. Something about the early 68z is just mean looking. My car, the one in the magazine is a late production 3rd week of July, and the last of the 68 run lasted to the 5th week of July 68.

Now the cool thing about this car, and part of it is cause it's a real late car is it has factory power steering. Only 697 of the 68Z had the power steering option.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ****ed up and sold a 68 Firebird Sprint ZE 6cyl 24valve dual overhead cams, factory 4 speed, polished. and ported intake, headers and 4bbl Carb. This is exact car I had below. I have regretted it everyday. Makes me sick when I see one. I had put a posi track and a 2 speed gear vender in it. It was fast and confused a lot of people.

View attachment 404836
I'm sure many of us have our "one that got away" stories. MIne was a 1969 GTO Judge Ram Air III automatic with factory AC, power windows, door locks, lighted vanity mirrors and the Hurst dual gate shifter. All of this documented on a copy of the factory invoice. Oh, it also had the functioning hood scoop doors with the complete air cleaner that sealed to the underside of the hood. Sigh.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure many of us have our "one that got away" stories. MIne was a 1969 GTO Judge Ram Air III automatic with factory AC, power windows, door locks, lighted vanity mirrors and the Hurst dual gate shifter. All of this documented on a copy of the factory invoice. Oh, it also had the functioning hood scoop doors with the complete air cleaner that sealed to the underside of the hood. Sigh.

Oh ****! Yea you too! Does it still suck when you see one, photo or in person! It does to me!

nineisfine

Marksman
Reaction score
Here's my "I was such an idiot for letting it go", story. Sold this '65 GTO in 1979 for $2k. I still kick myself 40+ years later!

Not a restoration of course but a lot of work went into that car at the time and was a long, drawn out convoluted process to get there. Several years earlier, I had bought a 66 GTO for $300. (pile of junk really) I blew the trashed motor in the first month and it took 6 months to save enough to rebuild another 389 as well as the original muncie 4 speed - work performed by my cousin and myself on my grandmother's garage floor. (she claimed to not see very well but dang if she couldn't point out each and every oil spot on the floor. lol) Got the motor/trans done with a nice cam and headers, reinstalled everything and then the car was stolen shortly after. I got it back - they didn't take anything valuable other than the Chevy rally wheels/tires. Lots of damage to the body though when they just dropped it to the ground after pulling the wheels (bumpers were off at the time).

Oh well. Wasn't really crazy about the '66 body style anyway ... a lady I worked with had a '65 body for sale with no motor or trans. Perfect, I thought. Think I paid $100 for it. I swapped everything over, had it painted and the result is what you see here. Damn, I was a stupid kid... stupid, stupid, stupid! lol

IMG_0295.JPG

Last edited:

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my "I was such an idiot for letting it go", story. Sold this '65 GTO in 1979 for $2k. I still kick myself 40+ years later!

Not a restoration of course but a lot of work went into that car at the time and was a long, drawn out convoluted process to get there. Several years earlier, I had bought a 66 GTO for $300. (pile of junk really) I blew the trashed motor in the first month and it took 6 months to save enough to rebuild another 389 as well as the original muncie 4 speed - work performed by my cousin and myself on my grandmother's garage floor. (she claimed to not see very well but dang if she couldn't point out each and every oil spot on the floor. lol) Got the motor/trans done with a nice cam and headers, reinstalled everything and then the car was stolen shortly after. I got it back - they didn't take anything valuable other than the Chevy rally wheels/tires. Lots of damage to the body though when they just dropped it to the ground after pulling the wheels (bumpers were off at the time).

Oh well. Wasn't really crazy about the '66 body style anyway ... a lady I worked with had a '65 body for sale with no motor or trans. Perfect, I thought. Think I paid $100 for it. I swapped everything over, had it painted and the result is what you see here. Damn, I was a stupid kid... stupid, stupid, stupid! lol

View attachment 405240
Yeah, my second "got away" was a 1967 GTO convertible. It was an early 1967 build out of Kansas City and didn't have a 400 like the 67s were supposed to. This one had a 389 tri-power engine. Man, I loved hearing those three Rochester 2GC carbs roar at WOT.

Latest posts

Top Bottom